Back to home page

DOS ain't dead

Forum index page

Log in | Register

Back to the board
Thread view  Mix view  Order
CluelessInSeattl(R)

Seattle, USA,
03.01.2013, 21:25
 

Outliner Software for MS-DOS? (Users)

Back in my CP/M days I had a couple of outlining programs (one was call "Thoughtline" I think). And when I finally switched to MS-DOS I tried an outliner called KAMAS, but I'll be danged if I can find the distribution disk now.

Have any of you ever used an outliner program that runs under DOS? I like to find one that I can run under MS-DOS 6.21.

---
Will in Seattle
a.k.a. "Clueless"
Running MS-DOS 6.21

bretjohn(R)

Homepage E-mail

Rio Rancho, NM,
04.01.2013, 17:36

@ CluelessInSeattl

Outliner Software for MS-DOS?

What exactly is an outliner program? I don't think I've ever heard that term before.

rr(R)

Homepage E-mail

Berlin, Germany,
04.01.2013, 20:38

@ CluelessInSeattl

Outliner Software for MS-DOS?

> Have any of you ever used an outliner program that runs under DOS? I like
> to find one that I can run under MS-DOS 6.21.

How about Lotus Agenda or Lotus Symphony?
ThinkTank and MORE are available from http://outliners.scripting.com/
Info about GrandView can be found on http://welcometosherwood.wordpress.com/2009/10/10/grandview/

mbbrutman(R)

Homepage

Washington, USA,
05.01.2013, 02:26

@ CluelessInSeattl

Outliner Software for MS-DOS?

Look for a title called PC Outline by Brown Bag Software. You should be able to find it on Simtel.net or in any old shareware archive.

This program was so good and it still holds up reasonably well. A few years ago I dug it up again to use it to study for a large test I was taking. The modern versions Microsoft Word pale in comparison when used for outlining.

---
mTCP - TCP/IP apps for vintage DOS machines!
http://www.brutman.com/mTCP

CluelessInSeattl(R)

Seattle, USA,
05.01.2013, 23:27

@ mbbrutman

Outliner Software for MS-DOS?

> Look for a title called PC Outline by Brown Bag Software. You should be
> able to find it on Simtel.net or in any old shareware archive.

Hi mbbrutman!

I've been hunting online for a DOS version of PC-Outline, but haven't been able to find it. All I can find are the Windows version.

However I did find an article that mentioned that: "...in the late 1980s WordStar 5 came bundled with PC-Outline, a popular DOS outliner then available from Brown Bag Software, Inc. in California. PC-Outline text had to be exported to a WordStar-format file, as the programs were not developed to be internally compatible."

Reading that article jogged my memory and I seem to recall trying PC-Outline back when I bought WS 5.5. But I didn't care for it then because it didn't incorporate the WordStar editing commands, if I remember rightly. But, I wondered if I might still have my original WS 5.5 floppies. So I dug around in the boxes of old disks in my back room and I'll be danged if I didn't dig out an old 5.25" floppy disk labeled PC-Outline.

Then I dug out my old 286 PC that has both 3.5" and 5.25" floppy drives. But the 5.25" floppy drive doesn't seem to work anymore :o(. I checked my neighborhood PC Recycling Shop, and he does have a 5.25" drive he'll sell me for $13. So if I can't get the drive in that old machine to work by Monday, I'm going to ride my bike down there and buy that drive.

> This program was so good and it still holds up reasonably well. A few
> years ago I dug it up again to use it to study for a large test I was
> taking. The modern versions Microsoft Word pale in comparison when used
> for outlining.

I don't suppose you still have that program lying around now do you?

---
Will in Seattle
a.k.a. "Clueless"
Running MS-DOS 6.21

CluelessInSeattl(R)

Seattle, USA,
05.01.2013, 23:29

@ rr

Outliner Software for MS-DOS?

> ThinkTank and MORE are available from http://outliners.scripting.com/

Thanks, rr!

I downloaded ThinkTank, but when I tried to run it I got a message saying something like "This program will not run in MS-DOS."

I suspect that I unzipped the archive incorrectly. I think the archive had subfolders in it, so I'm going to try again. Maybe if I unzip it properly it will work.

---
Will in Seattle
a.k.a. "Clueless"
Running MS-DOS 6.21

CluelessInSeattl(R)

Seattle, USA,
05.01.2013, 23:43

@ bretjohn

Outliner Software for MS-DOS?

> What exactly is an outliner program? I don't think I've ever heard that
> term before.

Hi bretjohn!

An outliner is a type of text editor which allows you to format your text in an outline format with topics, sub-topics, sub-sub-topics, etc.

You can hide or display the text of the various sub-topics while you work.

It greatly simplifies the task of editing long text files.

Here's a Wikipedia article that explains it a lot better than I can:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Outliner

---
Will in Seattle
a.k.a. "Clueless"
Running MS-DOS 6.21

glennmcc(R)

Homepage E-mail

North Jackson, Ohio (USA),
06.01.2013, 02:08

@ CluelessInSeattl

Outliner Software for MS-DOS?

> > Look for a title called PC Outline by Brown Bag Software. You should be
> > able to find it on Simtel.net or in any old shareware archive.
>
> Hi mbbrutman!
>
> I've been hunting online for a DOS version of PC-Outline, but haven't been
> able to find it. All I can find are the Windows version.
>
> However I did find an article that mentioned that: "...in the late 1980s
> WordStar 5 came bundled with PC-Outline, a popular DOS outliner then
> available from Brown Bag Software, Inc. in California. PC-Outline text had
> to be exported to a WordStar-format file, as the programs were not
> developed to be internally compatible."
>
> Reading that article jogged my memory and I seem to recall trying
> PC-Outline back when I bought WS 5.5. But I didn't care for it then
> because it didn't incorporate the WordStar editing commands, if I remember
> rightly. But, I wondered if I might still have my original WS 5.5
> floppies. So I dug around in the boxes of old disks in my back room and
> I'll be danged if I didn't dig out an old 5.25" floppy disk labeled
> PC-Outline.
>
> Then I dug out my old 286 PC that has both 3.5" and 5.25" floppy drives.
> But the 5.25" floppy drive doesn't seem to work anymore :o(. I checked my
> neighborhood PC Recycling Shop, and he does have a 5.25" drive he'll sell
> me for $13. So if I can't get the drive in that old machine to work by
> Monday, I'm going to ride my bike down there and buy that drive.
>
> > This program was so good and it still holds up reasonably well. A few
> > years ago I dug it up again to use it to study for a large test I was
> > taking. The modern versions Microsoft Word pale in comparison when used
> > for outlining.
>
> I don't suppose you still have that program lying around now do you?

http://www.skeptictank.org/treasure/GUTILS/PCO334.ZIP
(871130) 96K PC-Outline v3.34: Outlining & planning program

You're welcome ;-)

CluelessInSeattl(R)

Seattle, USA,
06.01.2013, 05:35

@ glennmcc

Outliner Software for MS-DOS?

> http://www.skeptictank.org/treasure/GUTILS/PCO334.ZIP
> (871130) 96K PC-Outline v3.34: Outlining & planning program
>
> You're welcome ;-)

Thanks a million, glennmcc! :clap:

I can't wait to take this for a test drive!

---
Will in Seattle
a.k.a. "Clueless"
Running MS-DOS 6.21

Back to the board
Thread view  Mix view  Order
15112 Postings in 1359 Threads, 247 registered users, 15 users online (1 registered, 14 guests)
DOS ain't dead | Admin contact
RSS Feed
powered by my little forum