Back to home page

DOS ain't dead

Forum index page

Log in | Register

Back to the board
Thread view  Mix view  Order
glennmcc(R)

Homepage E-mail

North Jackson, Ohio (USA),
05.03.2013, 06:13
 

Arachne v1.97;GPL released... (Announce)

Well folks.... After a 4yr hiatus, I'm at it again ;-)

Available Mar 04, 2013......Arachne v1.97;GPL

(sorry.. only the DOS 387+ build this time,
no DOS 287- build, no Linux build)

http://www.glennmcc.org/

Rugxulo(R)

Homepage

Usono,
05.03.2013, 11:32

@ glennmcc

Arachne v1.97;GPL released...

> Available Mar 04, 2013......Arachne v1.97;GPL
>
> (sorry.. only the DOS 387+ build this time,
> no DOS 287- build, no Linux build)
>
> http://www.glennmcc.org/

I've mirrored this to iBiblio and updated the online .LSM file.

RayeR(R)

Homepage

CZ,
05.03.2013, 12:33

@ glennmcc

Arachne v1.97;GPL released...

Does it support higher VESA modes (that I made available in my patch - up to 1600x1200)?

---
DOS gives me freedom to unlimited HW access.

glennmcc(R)

Homepage E-mail

North Jackson, Ohio (USA),
06.03.2013, 00:44

@ Rugxulo

Arachne v1.97;GPL released...

> > Available Mar 04, 2013......Arachne v1.97;GPL
> >
> > (sorry.. only the DOS 387+ build this time,
> > no DOS 287- build, no Linux build)
> >
> > http://www.glennmcc.org/
>
> I've mirrored this to
> iBiblio
> and updated the online
> .LSM file.


Thank you very much :)

glennmcc(R)

Homepage E-mail

North Jackson, Ohio (USA),
06.03.2013, 00:46
(edited by glennmcc, 06.03.2013, 01:10)

@ RayeR

Arachne v1.97;GPL released...

> Does it support higher VESA modes (that I made available in my patch
> - up to 1600x1200)?

Sorry no, I did not include your 1600x1200 patch in v1.97

Perhaps we'll build it into v1.99

[edit]

http://rayer.ic.cz/download/arachne.rar == 404 not found

RayeR(R)

Homepage

CZ,
06.03.2013, 02:08

@ glennmcc

Arachne v1.97;GPL released...

> http://rayer.ic.cz/download/arachne.rar == 404 not found

Because I moved from IC.cz to http://rayer.g6.cz/download/arachne.rar

---
DOS gives me freedom to unlimited HW access.

glennmcc(R)

Homepage E-mail

North Jackson, Ohio (USA),
06.03.2013, 04:03

@ RayeR

Arachne v1.97;GPL released...

> > http://rayer.ic.cz/download/arachne.rar == 404 not found
>
> Because I moved from IC.cz to
> http://rayer.g6.cz/download/arachne.rar


Thanks for the new link.

But, in the mean time I dug thru my stuff here
and found the copy that I already had. :)

glennmcc(R)

Homepage E-mail

North Jackson, Ohio (USA),
06.03.2013, 04:08

@ glennmcc

Arachne v1.97;GPL released...

> > Does it support higher VESA modes (that I made available in my patch
> > - up to 1600x1200)?
>
> Sorry no, I did not include your 1600x1200 patch in v1.97
>
> Perhaps we'll build it into v1.99
>
> [edit]
>
> http://rayer.ic.cz/download/arachne.rar == 404 not found

Ah, what the heck... why wait. ;-)

I dug thru my stuff here and found the copy that I already had.

Arachne v1.97 is now re-built to include your 1600x1200 patch.

And since I was at it... also built it into v1.97 for 286-

http://glennmcc.org/

Zyzzle(R)

06.03.2013, 08:37

@ glennmcc

Arachne v1.97;GPL released...

Thanks for making this new version with the VESA patch. DOS web browsing lives on!

Rugxulo(R)

Homepage

Usono,
06.03.2013, 09:05

@ glennmcc

Arachne v1.97;GPL released...

> Arachne v1.97 is now re-built to include your 1600x1200 patch.
>
> And since I was at it... also built it into v1.97 for 286-
>
> http://glennmcc.org/

I've again mirrored all of this (with previous in "old/", just in case) as well as made a News announcement (should be on front page).

RayeR(R)

Homepage

CZ,
06.03.2013, 10:46

@ glennmcc

Arachne v1.97;GPL released...

> Arachne v1.97 is now re-built to include your 1600x1200 patch.
> And since I was at it... also built it into v1.97 for 286-
> http://glennmcc.org/

Yeah, it was only about 3-4 files that I had to modify (but the vesa code here is not much clear) with adding few lines so nothing hard to do. Thakns. I will put a link/mirror on my website.
BTW I'd like to see also some Dillo update :hungry:

---
DOS gives me freedom to unlimited HW access.

marcov(R)

06.03.2013, 15:25

@ glennmcc

Arachne v1.97;GPL released...

> Arachne v1.97 is now re-built to include your 1600x1200 patch.
>
> And since I was at it... also built it into v1.97 for 286-


Just out of curiosity, what 1600x1200 card do you have on a 286- system?

RayeR(R)

Homepage

CZ,
06.03.2013, 18:35

@ marcov

Arachne v1.97;GPL released...

> Just out of curiosity, what 1600x1200 card do you have on a 286- system?

Probably nobody have it on 286 (I personally have ISA SVGA cards up to 1MB) but Arachne is not only for 286. People use Arachne on many different machines.

I think that he mean this:
1) include vesa patch extension to Arachne sources (common)
2) build 2 binary releases, one for 386+ and second for 286
So 286 version automatically have this feature too

---
DOS gives me freedom to unlimited HW access.

glennmcc(R)

Homepage E-mail

North Jackson, Ohio (USA),
06.03.2013, 23:34
(edited by glennmcc, 07.03.2013, 03:07)

@ marcov

Arachne v1.97;GPL released...

> > Arachne v1.97 is now re-built to include your 1600x1200 patch.
> >
> > And since I was at it... also built it into v1.97 for 286-
>
>
> Just out of curiosity, what 1600x1200 card do you have on a 286- system?

Don't have one.

In-fact... don't even have one on this Pentium4 machine
which has a highest capability of 1280x1024.

Just out of curiosity, does anyone know if
even 1280x1024 is possible on a 286- ???

But, _if_ it is possible.....
thanks to RayeR, Arachne v1.97;GPL,286- is now ready to handle it. ;-)

http://glennmcc.org/

glennmcc(R)

Homepage E-mail

North Jackson, Ohio (USA),
07.03.2013, 01:44

@ glennmcc

Arachne v1.97;GPL released...

No distro 'package' built, but here's the SRC code
for Arachne v1.97;GPL ready to be compiled for Linux.

http://glennmcc.org/aralinux/arachne-src-1.97.tgz

Tested & confirmed to build into the completed arachne-svgalib executable.

The ggi build is untested here because I don't have the ggi libraries
installed on either of my machines.

root@glennmcc:/asrc197# ls -l arachne-svgalib
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 1181962 Mar 6 19:47 arachne-svgalib*
root@glennmcc:/asrc197# ldd arachne-svgalib
linux-gate.so.1 (0xffffe000)
libvga.so.1 => /usr/lib/libvga.so.1 (0xb7665000)
libvgagl.so.1 => /usr/lib/libvgagl.so.1 (0xb7657000)
libpthread.so.0 => /lib/libpthread.so.0 (0xb763d000)
libc.so.6 => /lib/libc.so.6 (0xb74b8000)
libm.so.6 => /lib/libm.so.6 (0xb748b000)
/lib/ld-linux.so.2 (0xb7712000)
root@glennmcc:/asrc197#

--
http://glennmcc.org/

RayeR(R)

Homepage

CZ,
07.03.2013, 18:28
(edited by RayeR, 07.03.2013, 18:46)

@ glennmcc

Arachne v1.97;GPL released...

> Just out of curiosity, does anyone know if
> even 1280x1024 is possible on a 286- ???

It may be possible but it's very limited. The problem is, that Arachne rely on VESA BIOS. And VESA make the standard available later after 286 era when mostly PCI graphics cards was used. Of course there are also some ISA SVGAs with VBE - I have one S3 8xx card with 1MB of VRAM and VBE 1.2 that makes possible to fit 1280x1024/4bit or 1024x768/8bit but I don't know if it really supports 1280x1024/4bit modes. There probably was other ISA SVGA adapters for CAD that might reach 1280x1024 or 1600x1200 but they was not standardized by VESA VBE - in that time there was anarchy in SVGA - any standard so every vendor had to provide own drivers/libs for the hardware. Fortunately later comes VESA VBE and standardized the basic things like services for setting a vmode, putpixel, bank switch, LFB later, etc... But most of VBE enabled SVGA card was for PCI/VLB and come available in age of 486 and later...

---
DOS gives me freedom to unlimited HW access.

glennmcc(R)

Homepage E-mail

North Jackson, Ohio (USA),
08.03.2013, 04:59
(edited by glennmcc, 08.03.2013, 05:14)

@ glennmcc

Arachne v1.97;GPL released...

> No distro 'package' built, but here's the SRC code
> for Arachne v1.97;GPL ready to be compiled for Linux.
>
> http://glennmcc.org/aralinux/arachne-src-1.97.tgz
>
> Tested & confirmed to build into the completed arachne-svgalib executable.
>
> The ggi build is untested here because I don't have the ggi libraries
> installed on either of my machines.
>
> root@glennmcc:/asrc197# ls -l arachne-svgalib
>
> -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 1181962 Mar 6 19:47 arachne-svgalib*
>
> root@glennmcc:/asrc197# ldd arachne-svgalib
>
> linux-gate.so.1 (0xffffe000)
> libvga.so.1 => /usr/lib/libvga.so.1 (0xb7665000)
> libvgagl.so.1 => /usr/lib/libvgagl.so.1 (0xb7657000)
> libpthread.so.0 => /lib/libpthread.so.0 (0xb763d000)
> libc.so.6 => /lib/libc.so.6 (0xb74b8000)
> libm.so.6 => /lib/libm.so.6 (0xb748b000)
> /lib/ld-linux.so.2 (0xb7712000)

> root@glennmcc:/asrc197#
>
> --

And now I _do_ have the ggi libraries installed on one of my machines.
(P4 2.8ghz running SlackWare v14.0)

Had to make a couple of changes in the SRC code but now arachne-ggi compiles.

root@glennmcc:/asrc197# ls -l arachne-ggi

-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 1175953 Mar 7 22:55 arachne-ggi*

root@glennmcc:/asrc197# ldd arachne-ggi

linux-gate.so.1 (0xffffe000)
libggi.so.2 => /usr/lib/libggi.so.2 (0xb762d000)
libpthread.so.0 => /lib/libpthread.so.0 (0xb7613000)
libc.so.6 => /lib/libc.so.6 (0xb748e000)
libaa.so.1 => /usr/lib/libaa.so.1 (0xb7474000)
libslang.so.2 => /usr/lib/libslang.so.2 (0xb7352000)
libgpm.so.1 => /lib/libgpm.so.1 (0xb734d000)
libm.so.6 => /lib/libm.so.6 (0xb7321000)
libncurses.so.5 => /lib/libncurses.so.5 (0xb72df000)
libvga.so.1 => /usr/lib/libvga.so.1 (0xb7260000)
libvgagl.so.1 => /usr/lib/libvgagl.so.1 (0xb7252000)
libXxf86vm.so.1 => /usr/lib/libXxf86vm.so.1 (0xb724c000)
libgii.so.1 => /usr/lib/libgii.so.1 (0xb722c000)
libXxf86dga.so.1 => /usr/lib/libXxf86dga.so.1 (0xb7226000)
libXext.so.6 => /usr/lib/libXext.so.6 (0xb7215000)
libX11.so.6 => /usr/lib/libX11.so.6 (0xb70df000)
libxcb-xlib.so.0 => /usr/lib/libxcb-xlib.so.0 (0xb70bd000)
libXdmcp.so.6 => /usr/lib/libXdmcp.so.6 (0xb70b7000)
libXau.so.6 => /usr/lib/libXau.so.6 (0xb70b4000)
libgg.so.1 => /usr/lib/libgg.so.1 (0xb70a9000)
libdl.so.2 => /lib/libdl.so.2 (0xb70a4000)
/lib/ld-linux.so.2 (0xb76ff000)

root@glennmcc:/asrc197#

I'll be uploading the modified SRC in just a couple of min.

---
--
http://glennmcc.org/

Ibidem(R)

20.03.2013, 06:20

@ glennmcc

Arachne v1.97;GPL released...

> > No distro 'package' built, but here's the SRC code
> > for Arachne v1.97;GPL ready to be compiled for Linux.
> >
> > http://glennmcc.org/aralinux/arachne-src-1.97.tgz
> >
> > Tested & confirmed to build into the completed arachne-svgalib
> executable.
> >
> > The ggi build is untested here because I don't have the ggi libraries
> > installed on either of my machines.

> And now I _do_ have the ggi libraries installed on one of my machines.
> (P4 2.8ghz running SlackWare v14.0)
>
> Had to make a couple of changes in the SRC code but now arachne-ggi
> compiles.
>
> I'll be uploading the modified SRC in just a couple of min.

Thanks a lot, from someone who now has to do all his web browsing under Linux.
But, I ran into one issue: when I run it, I get:
sh: ../share/arachne/arachne-install: No such file or directory
Error reading ../share/arachne/templates/toolbar.cfg:
File not found, file is longer than 1024 lines or out of memory

In other words, there's a folder missing. Where would I find it?

glennmcc(R)

Homepage E-mail

North Jackson, Ohio (USA),
20.03.2013, 16:06

@ Ibidem

Arachne v1.97;GPL released...

> > > No distro 'package' built, but here's the SRC code
> > > for Arachne v1.97;GPL ready to be compiled for Linux.
> > >
> > > http://glennmcc.org/aralinux/arachne-src-1.97.tgz
> > >
> > > Tested & confirmed to build into the completed arachne-svgalib
> > executable.
> > >
> > > The ggi build is untested here because I don't have the ggi libraries
> > > installed on either of my machines.
>
> > And now I _do_ have the ggi libraries installed on one of my machines.
> > (P4 2.8ghz running SlackWare v14.0)
> >
> > Had to make a couple of changes in the SRC code but now arachne-ggi
> > compiles.
> >
> > I'll be uploading the modified SRC in just a couple of min.
>
> Thanks a lot, from someone who now has to do all his web browsing under
> Linux.
> But, I ran into one issue: when I run it, I get:
> sh: ../share/arachne/arachne-install: No such file or directory
> Error reading ../share/arachne/templates/toolbar.cfg:
> File not found, file is longer than 1024 lines or out of memory
>
> In other words, there's a folder missing. Where would I find it?

Did you install the entire v1.95 package ?

---
--
http://glennmcc.org/

DOS386(R)

27.03.2013, 09:05

@ glennmcc

Arachne v1.97;GPL released | (no more) DEATH

> Well folks.... After a 4yr hiatus, I'm at it again ;-)
> Available Mar 04, 2013......Arachne v1.97;GPL

Thanks :-)

> (sorry.. only the DOS 387+ build this time,

...

> no DOS 287- build

Fixed :-)

What's new ?

What about updating http://glennmcc.org/ara-gpl/history.txt ?

---
This is a LOGITECH mouse driver, but some software expect here
the following string:*** This is Copyright 1983 Microsoft ***

glennmcc(R)

Homepage E-mail

North Jackson, Ohio (USA),
27.03.2013, 23:47

@ DOS386

Arachne v1.97;GPL released | (no more) DEATH

> > Well folks.... After a 4yr hiatus, I'm at it again ;-)
> > Available Mar 04, 2013......Arachne v1.97;GPL
>
> Thanks :-)
>
> > (sorry.. only the DOS 387+ build this time,
>
> ...
>
> > no DOS 287- build
>
> Fixed :-)
>
> What's new ?
>
> What about updating http://glennmcc.org/ara-gpl/history.txt ?

Done ;-)

---
--
http://glennmcc.org/

Back to the board
Thread view  Mix view  Order
15869 Postings in 1464 Threads, 268 registered users, 83 users online (0 registered, 83 guests)
DOS ain't dead | Admin contact
RSS Feed
powered by my little forum