Back to home page

DOS ain't dead

Forum index page

Back to the board
Thread view  Mix view  Order
bocke(R)

13.07.2013, 22:41

Some *nix-like text games (Users)

I was searching for something for Linux and found this topic on Dosbox "VOGONS" forum:

Attach your DOSBox-compatible *NIX ports in this thread

The post contains several DJGPP ports of *nix curses/console games. For example, ESR's *nix version of the famous "Wumpus". :)

Rugxulo(R)

Homepage

Usono,
15.07.2013, 19:18

@ bocke

Some *nix-like text games

Honestly, this list of ports wasn't that comprehensive. (Perhaps pointing to external sites like Rogueforge implied more?) Not that I'm an expert, by far, or even fully remember all the different ports of roguelikes (et al.), but anyways ....

UMoria (16-bit builds or 32-bit DJGPP)
Rogue Clone (16-bit OpenWatcom binary or, via source, 32-bit DJGPP)
Dungeon Crawl 4.0.0.b26 (32-bit DJGPP; DC started on DJGPP in 1997!)

There are a fair few others, e.g. various (usually older versions of) Angband, Stone Soup, Nethack, SLASH 'EM, Larn, Omega, IVAN, Kroz, TOME, etc. I can't even pretend to remember nor have played them all.

FYI, most of these are written in C, no surprise, but a few were ported to FreePascal (IIRC, original Moria [VAX Pascal] and its offshoot, BOSS). There was also an improved port of Moria to FreeBASIC, but I don't know what happened to it (site is gone).

N.B. These aren't necessarily all "free software", so caveat emptor. Some have been relicensed after-the-fact (Moria and Stone Soup, IIRC), but some are still only for non-commercial use or similar. ADOM got an update fairly recently (dunno what changed), but it's still closed source.

bocke(R)

17.07.2013, 16:40

@ Rugxulo

Thanx for the additional info. Do you have any additional links by the chance? :)

> Honestly, this list of ports wasn't that comprehensive.

Probably. :) Those are only open source games, as I see. No legacy unix stuff (some of which might be available under Lucent or BSD licenses).

But as text adventure port list, I agree - the list is far from complete. ;)

Rugxulo(R)

Homepage

Usono,
21.07.2013, 01:37

@ bocke

> Thanx for the additional info. Do you have any additional links by the
> chance? :)

Anything specific in mind? There are thousands of roguelikes, and I couldn't keep track of them all even if I tried. A lot of links and discussion can be found in news://rec.games.roguelike.*.

Angband
Angband variants
Zangband
Gumband

Moria (FPC)
BOSS (FPC)

Nethack
SLASH 'EM
Falcon's Eye

A.D.O.M.
Iter Vehemens Ad Necem
Kroz
Larn
Omega
Dungeon Crawl: Stone Soup (old)
DosGames.com RPGs (many older versions, e.g. DoomRL)

Most of these definitely should still have DOS ports lying around somewhere (at least older versions, or maybe?? can be compiled for DOS).

> > Honestly, this list of ports wasn't that comprehensive.
>
> Probably. :) Those are only open source games, as I see. No legacy unix
> stuff (some of which might be available under Lucent or BSD licenses).

"Open source" is a very generic (misused) terminology. Usually people ("in the know") only use that for OSI-approved stuff. "Free software" dislikes the term (and existence) of such, though, so they both don't always agree with how "free" or "open" something is.

As for *BSD, the "Rogue" included in NetBSD these days is "Rogue Clone", not the original Rogue. It's license is a bit confusing, so I'm not totally sure it's free/libre at all (even if sources are available).

bocke(R)

21.07.2013, 17:53

@ Rugxulo

> Anything specific in mind?

Not really. Just for the sake of completeness. You mentioned it's far from complete, so I tought you might have something to add. ;)

> "Open source" is a very generic (misused) terminology. Usually people ("in
> the know") only use that for OSI-approved stuff. "Free software" dislikes
> the term (and existence) of such, though, so they both don't always agree
> with how "free" or "open" something is.
>

Yes, it is. I didn't want to go to specifics. 3-clause BSD and Lucent licenses are OSI approved (the second not being known to me until a minute ago), but not GPL compatible. 2-clause BSD is both.

Anyway, I didn't want to imply they're non open source, just I wasn't really sure on Lucent Public License terms. I don't tend to call anything too restrictive "open source". OpenMotif License was a good example of not really "open source" by my understanding of the term.

Back to the board
Thread view  Mix view  Order
15186 Postings in 1365 Threads, 250 registered users, 14 users online (0 registered, 14 guests)
DOS ain't dead | Admin contact
RSS Feed