DOS ain't dead

Forum index page

Back to the board
Thread view  Mix view  Order
RayeR(R)

Homepage

CZ,
26.10.2014, 13:44

How to detect if keyboard is connected? (Developers)

Hi, on 86duino zero there's a real PS/2 port an also USB HID emulation. I'd like to make a small utility that will automatically detect a keyboard and if it is not found it will pass an error code that will be used fo console redirection CTTY COMx.

With USB KBD I tried some basic tricks like sending KBD echo command EEh to port 60h but I didn't get EEh reply and result was same regardless if KBD attached (FEh). Also bit4 at address 0:0496h that should indicate 101-key KBD present is still set. Status byte at port 64h is still 50h. Putting a char to KBD buffer via INT16 also success. So I need to find something that will give aq different result when KBD connented or not.

---
DOS gives me freedom to unlimited HW access.

RayeR(R)

Homepage

CZ,
26.10.2014, 15:11

@ RayeR

How to detect if keyboard is connected?

As I tried neither EDh command works - it returns FEh - NAK. So it seems that USB HID emulation routine does not emulate it on hardware/port level but only on BIOS level.
If I use mode con command I can set numlock regardless if keyboard is connected.

---

RayeR(R)

Homepage

CZ,
02.11.2014, 01:23

@ RayeR

Well, I got info that I would need to mess with USB to detect the KBD on this HW so I rather decided to write simple utility for detection a VGA (BIOS). If VGA is detected the console is not redirected to COM port (without checking kbd but it's linked together). For my case on 86duino it does the job.

---

Oso2k(R)

08.11.2014, 00:41

@ RayeR

> Well, I got info that I would need to mess with USB to detect the KBD on
> this HW so I rather decided to write simple utility for detection a VGA
> (BIOS). If VGA is detected the console is not redirected to COM port
> (without checking kbd but it's linked together). For my case on 86duino it
> does the job.

Does the 86duino support the BDA fields 40:89 [0]?

[0] http://stanislavs.org/helppc/bios_data_area.html

Back to the board
Thread view  Mix view  Order
15186 Postings in 1365 Threads, 250 registered users, 11 users online (0 registered, 11 guests)
DOS ain't dead | Admin contact
RSS Feed