Back to home page

DOS ain't dead

Forum index page

Log in | Register

Back to the board
Thread view  Mix view  Order  «  
 
Laaca(R)

Homepage

Czech republic,
23.11.2014, 22:45
 

QuickView (Announce)

Good news for everone!

We almost forgot it but in DOS we have for video playing not only MPlayer port but also a native DOS application QuickView by Wolfgang Hesseler.
Now after 7 years he released new version 2.6

There is some limitation for non registered users however I am registered so I am enjoying now the full version.

http://multimediaware.com/qv/index.html

---
DOS-u-akbar!

ron(R)

Homepage E-mail

Australia,
24.11.2014, 07:04

@ Laaca

QuickView

> Good news for everone!

Yes indeed. :)

> We almost forgot it but in DOS we have for video playing not only MPlayer
> port but also a native DOS application QuickView by Wolfgang Hesseler.
> Now after 7 years he released new version 2.6

It certainly has been a long time coming !
And is still very welcome. And now with additional codecs.

Thank you for the heads-up ! :)

> There is some limitation for non registered users however I am registered
> so I am enjoying now the full version.

I am also registered for QuickView. :)

---
AUSREG Consultancy http://www.ausreg.com
Tadpole Tunes http://www.tadpoletunes.com
Sna Keo Il http://www.tadpoletunes.com/sna_keo_il/

Guti(R)

Homepage

24.11.2014, 08:32

@ ron

QuickView

Major changes in version 2.60:
- MP4 support
- H.264 and AAC codec support



> > Good news for everone!
>
> Yes indeed. :)
>
> > We almost forgot it but in DOS we have for video playing not only
> MPlayer
> > port but also a native DOS application QuickView by Wolfgang Hesseler.
> > Now after 7 years he released new version 2.6
>
> It certainly has been a long time coming !
> And is still very welcome. And now with additional codecs.
>
> Thank you for the heads-up ! :)
>
> > There is some limitation for non registered users however I am
> registered
> > so I am enjoying now the full version.
>
> I am also registered for QuickView. :)

---
Visit my personal blog at http://www.javiergutierrezchamorro.com

Wengier(R)

E-mail

24.11.2014, 18:01

@ Laaca

QuickView

> Good news for everone!
>
> We almost forgot it but in DOS we have for video playing not only MPlayer
> port but also a native DOS application QuickView by Wolfgang Hesseler.
> Now after 7 years he released new version 2.6
>
> There is some limitation for non registered users however I am registered
> so I am enjoying now the full version.
>
> http://multimediaware.com/qv/index.html

Great news indeed. And I'm registered too. The size of the executable expands a lot though.

ron(R)

Homepage E-mail

Australia,
24.11.2014, 21:18

@ Guti

QuickView

> Major changes in version 2.60:
> - MP4 support
> - H.264 and AAC codec support

I also discovered that it will play .vob files - although it doesn't hi-light them.

I presume it detects the presence of a known codec, even in files with different extensions.

---
AUSREG Consultancy http://www.ausreg.com
Tadpole Tunes http://www.tadpoletunes.com
Sna Keo Il http://www.tadpoletunes.com/sna_keo_il/

Zyzzle(R)

25.11.2014, 01:18

@ Wengier

QuickView

> > Good news for everone!
> >
> > We almost forgot it but in DOS we have for video playing not only
> MPlayer
> > port but also a native DOS application QuickView by Wolfgang Hesseler.
> > Now after 7 years he released new version 2.6
> >
> > There is some limitation for non registered users however I am
> registered
> > so I am enjoying now the full version.
> >
> > http://multimediaware.com/qv/index.html
>
> Great news indeed. And I'm registered too. The size of the executable
> expands a lot though.

The executable is indeed large, and compressed. I wonder if there's a way to decompress it, I can't find any program which will do it. It apparently uses the DOS 32/A .EXE compressor, and dammit, there's no uncompressor of that! Unless someone know how? Maybe a memory dump and reconstruct?

It could then be recompressed with a better compressor, like UPX's --lzma mode, for example. This would probably get it under 1 MB compressed.

I'm very impressed that, after 7 years, we have a new version of Quickview. And, it has the all-important MPEG4 support which was conspiciously absent until now. Thank you, Mr. Hesseler!

RayeR(R)

Homepage

CZ,
25.11.2014, 17:59

@ Laaca

Mpxplay v1.60b

Also new Mpxplay v1.60b is out.
http://mpxplay.sourceforge.net/

diffs between v1.60 beta 5 and beta 4
-bugfixes/modifications:
-MOV/MP4: parsing (with wave or unknown atoms), reading and writing metadata (in_mp4.c)
-demuxing (internal seeking) of video files (basically at MKV) (mpxinbuf.c)
-autosave of cue file (MPXP1000.CUE) after drive scan (-ds c) (wrong full path) (savelist.c)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
diffs between v1.60 beta 4 and beta 3
-bugfixes/modifications:
-added Opus multichannel decoding (in_ogg.c, ad_opus.dll)
-added Opus handling to MKV (ff_mkv.c)
-corrected OGG duration calculation (in_ogg.c)
-corrected ASF duration calculation (in_asf.c)
-corrected bitstream demux (-o -obs) (in_file.c, au_mixer.c)
-DOS: added new PCI IDs (codecs) to Intel HDA (sc_inthd.c)
-DOS: mem-leak bug in text display output (came out with "-fl -ds c" options) (textdisp.c)

---
DOS gives me freedom to unlimited HW access.

Wengier(R)

E-mail

25.11.2014, 19:00

@ Zyzzle

QuickView

> > > Good news for everone!
> > >
> > > We almost forgot it but in DOS we have for video playing not only
> > MPlayer
> > > port but also a native DOS application QuickView by Wolfgang Hesseler.
> > > Now after 7 years he released new version 2.6
> > >
> > > There is some limitation for non registered users however I am
> > registered
> > > so I am enjoying now the full version.
> > >
> > > http://multimediaware.com/qv/index.html
> >
> > Great news indeed. And I'm registered too. The size of the executable
> > expands a lot though.
>
> The executable is indeed large, and compressed. I wonder if there's a way
> to decompress it, I can't find any program which will do it. It apparently
> uses the DOS 32/A .EXE compressor, and dammit, there's no uncompressor of
> that! Unless someone know how? Maybe a memory dump and reconstruct?
>
> It could then be recompressed with a better compressor, like UPX's --lzma
> mode, for example. This would probably get it under 1 MB compressed.
>
> I'm very impressed that, after 7 years, we have a new version of Quickview.
> And, it has the all-important MPEG4 support which was conspiciously absent
> until now. Thank you, Mr. Hesseler!

I think your best bet is to contact the QV author directly about this and suggest a better way of compression. He usually responses to good suggestions.

RayeR(R)

Homepage

CZ,
25.11.2014, 23:58
(edited by RayeR, 26.11.2014, 00:28)

@ Laaca

QuickView PCI sound driver!

Wow, I'm very pleasured that there appeared new sound driver PCI.SDR fo QV by Ruslan Starodubov (14 November 2014) that plays nice on my SB Audigy2 (EMU 10k2) and also on NTB with Analog Devices/ICH4 AC'97 :-)
http://www.multimediaware.com/qv/snddrv/
He also have on his site modified ZDoom and Timidity with extendend sound support
http://sound-dos.narod.ru/
:hungry:

---
DOS gives me freedom to unlimited HW access.

Wengier(R)

E-mail

26.11.2014, 00:37
(edited by Wengier, 26.11.2014, 05:10)

@ RayeR

QuickView PCI sound driver!

> Wow, I'm very pleasured that there appeared new sound driver PCI.SDR fo QV
> by Ruslan Starodubov (14 November 2014) that plays nice on my SB Audigy2
> (EMU 10k2) and also on NTB with Analog Devices/ICH4 AC'97 :-)
> http://www.multimediaware.com/qv/snddrv/
> He also have on his site modified ZDoom and Timidity with extendend sound
> support
> http://sound-dos.narod.ru/
> :hungry:

Seems to nominally support almost all sound cards in my various computers. However, it is not necessary that they will actually work -- some do, and some don't (in such case it seems to work but there is simply no sound). Not sure why this happens though.

Zyzzle(R)

26.11.2014, 04:55

@ RayeR

QuickView PCI sound driver!

> Wow, I'm very pleasured that there appeared new sound driver PCI.SDR fo QV
> by Ruslan Starodubov (14 November 2014) that plays nice on my SB Audigy2
> (EMU 10k2) and also on NTB with Analog Devices/ICH4 AC'97 :-)
> http://www.multimediaware.com/qv/snddrv/
> He also have on his site modified ZDoom and Timidity with extendend sound
> support
> http://sound-dos.narod.ru/
> :hungry:

I'm also stupendously happy with the new soundcard support! Quickview worked very well with my little netbook with Realtech onboard sound. It also is much faster on this little processor (Intel Atom 1.6 OC to 1.93 Ghz). Quickview plays .MP4 files with full sound at 640x480 while the MPLAYER DOS port struggles to play the same mpeg4 files at 480x360 resolution (with sound) and no dropped frames.

And, thanks for the info about Starodubov URL. I can now play classic Doom in DOS with sound on this same Acer AOA250 netbook, which has been running very well indeed as my tricked out DOS system... Also .MIDI files with the 8mb wavetable files! Wow, it's almost 2015 and DOS is thriving and living strong!

I shall write Mr. Hesseler and inquire about how to get a version of Quickview v2.60 compressed more efficiently with UPX --lzma --ultra-brute. Perhaps he will reply, I hope so.

Wengier(R)

E-mail

26.11.2014, 05:17

@ Zyzzle

QuickView PCI sound driver!

> > Wow, I'm very pleasured that there appeared new sound driver PCI.SDR fo
> QV
> > by Ruslan Starodubov (14 November 2014) that plays nice on my SB Audigy2
> > (EMU 10k2) and also on NTB with Analog Devices/ICH4 AC'97 :-)
> > http://www.multimediaware.com/qv/snddrv/
> > He also have on his site modified ZDoom and Timidity with extendend
> sound
> > support
> > http://sound-dos.narod.ru/
> > :hungry:
>
> I'm also stupendously happy with the new soundcard support! Quickview
> worked very well with my little netbook with Realtech onboard sound. It
> also is much faster on this little processor (Intel Atom 1.6 OC to 1.93
> Ghz). Quickview plays .MP4 files with full sound at 640x480 while the
> MPLAYER DOS port struggles to play the same mpeg4 files at 480x360
> resolution (with sound) and no dropped frames.
>
> And, thanks for the info about Starodubov URL. I can now play classic Doom
> in DOS with sound on this same Acer AOA250 netbook, which has been running
> very well indeed as my tricked out DOS system... Also .MIDI files with the
> 8mb wavetable files! Wow, it's almost 2015 and DOS is thriving and living
> strong!
>
> I shall write Mr. Hesseler and inquire about how to get a version of
> Quickview v2.60 compressed more efficiently with UPX --lzma --ultra-brute.
> Perhaps he will reply, I hope so.

Yes, it is amazing that QV now actually works with several AC97 or even HDA sound cards. It will be even better if it can play .RMVB videos too (and I have a bunch of such files).

RayeR(R)

Homepage

CZ,
26.11.2014, 11:29

@ Zyzzle

QuickView PCI sound driver!

> And, thanks for the info about Starodubov URL. I can now play classic Doom
> in DOS with sound on this same Acer AOA250 netbook, which has been running
> very well indeed as my tricked out DOS system... Also .MIDI files with the
> 8mb wavetable files! Wow, it's almost 2015 and DOS is thriving and living
> strong!

ZDoom works for you? On my PC and notebook too it crashed. I can hear a tiny pop sound as soundcard was initialized but something else shoot it down. I suspected PMODEW crap so I unpacked & stripped it and used D3X but same result.
Of course I tried with simplified autoexec/config and even without any drivers and memmgrs...

In case of Timidity it's better. It plays fine on my notebook ICH4 AC'97. On PC it finds ICH7 HDA but I cannot hear sound from any output. (Mplayer can play on my HDA).

As I looked further the SDR driver for QV is just some wrapper around mpxplay's drivers (taken from Linux). It seems to hve some simple API, there's sample C code of RAW player and it's just a few func. calls. I'd like to know how it's handled multiple soundards in one PC if it's possible to select one specific (I prefer Audigy 2 over HDA).

BTW the SDR driver on Ruslan site is older - 2011 than on QV site - 2014 so maybe there was some bug fixes that did't propagated to Zdoom and Timidity. Unfortunatelly Ruslan's email address is not working.

BTW2 I have some quirk in QV on PC that I cannot fwd/rewind video with arrow keys but on notebook I can, does it works for others? ESC terminates OK.

---
DOS gives me freedom to unlimited HW access.

RayeR(R)

Homepage

CZ,
26.11.2014, 18:08

@ Zyzzle

QuickView

> It could then be recompressed with a better compressor, like UPX's --lzma
> mode, for example. This would probably get it under 1 MB compressed.

BTW isn't LZMA decompression ~10-times slower than other methods? I think for such reason it's not default in UPX. On slow computers like 386, 486 it may prolong delay on QV startup...

---
DOS gives me freedom to unlimited HW access.

Rugxulo(R)

Homepage

Usono,
26.11.2014, 22:35

@ RayeR

QuickView

> > It could then be recompressed with a better compressor, like UPX's
> --lzma
> > mode, for example. This would probably get it under 1 MB compressed.
>
> BTW isn't LZMA decompression ~10-times slower than other methods? I think
> for such reason it's not default in UPX. On slow computers like 386, 486 it
> may prolong delay on QV startup...

Yes, but only for big files, and only on very old machines. But it's a non-issue since UPX explicitly wants you to be able to decompress any packed binaries. So for those who have such slowdown, they can unpack and recompress with a faster (NRV?) compression method.

Rugxulo(R)

Homepage

Usono,
27.11.2014, 00:22

@ Wengier

QuickView PCI sound driver!

> Yes, it is amazing that QV now actually works with several AC97 or even HDA
> sound cards. It will be even better if it can play .RMVB videos too (and I
> have a bunch of such files).

I don't even want to mess with multimedia (licensing is annoying, money is annoying), but even I get bored sometimes.

Mostly just to show my brother ("Windows only" multimedia whore), I (partially) tested (shareware) qvpro260.zip (on SuperMarioBros_low.mp4 , which I bought online a month ago) on this Lenovo i5 desktop (PCI.SDR) running FreeDOS (bare boot, just to be safe, but devload'ed HIMEMX.EXE).

It works! So kudos to the author. But I have very little interest in things like this.

marcov(R)

28.11.2014, 16:06

@ Rugxulo

QuickView

> Yes, but only for big files, and only on very old machines. But it's a
> non-issue since UPX explicitly wants you to be able to decompress any
> packed binaries. So for those who have such slowdown, they can unpack and
> recompress with a faster (NRV?) compression method.

If he now uses an one way compression for a paid for product (or a free product that can be turned into paid by entering a key) that might be part of his software protection system?

RayeR(R)

Homepage

CZ,
28.11.2014, 19:23

@ Laaca

QuickView - video on older PC?

One of my friend got a crash on AMD K6-III when trying to play any video. It complains about invalid opcode. Could someone test it on some old PC like 486, Pentium 1, Pro? Maybe author used accidentally some code optimization (e.g. use SSE on non-capable CPU), who knows. Maybe he used a precompiled library and didn't care.
This problem is an evergreen, I'd like to have some easy to use tool that analyze the EXE and prints e.g. Minimum Pentium MMX required. I know this is quite complex...

---
DOS gives me freedom to unlimited HW access.

ron(R)

Homepage E-mail

Australia,
28.11.2014, 20:43

@ RayeR

QuickView - video on older PC?

> One of my friend got a crash on AMD K6-III when trying to play any video.
> It complains about invalid opcode. Could someone test it on some old PC
> like 486, Pentium 1, Pro?

I don't have a functioning Pentium, but my work horse machine is also an AMD K6, and it runs QuickView just fine in MS-DOS 6.20.

---
AUSREG Consultancy http://www.ausreg.com
Tadpole Tunes http://www.tadpoletunes.com
Sna Keo Il http://www.tadpoletunes.com/sna_keo_il/

Laaca(R)

Homepage

Czech republic,
28.11.2014, 23:38

@ RayeR

QuickView - video on older PC?

Maybe could help the use of some virtual environment. DOSbox could be sufficient. If not you can try BOCHS or something similar.

---
DOS-u-akbar!

marcov(R)

29.11.2014, 15:43

@ RayeR

QuickView - video on older PC?

> This problem is an evergreen, I'd like to have some easy to use tool that
> analyze the EXE and prints e.g. Minimum Pentium MMX required. I know this
> is quite complex...

Yes, even if only because a certain instruction in the binary does really mean that that is the minimum:

if testcpuforsse2 then
sse2versionofcode
else
nonsse2code;

the above piece has as highest requirement whatever nonsse2code demands.


The best doable would be to try to run in a debugger and see where it halts, and try to walk the stack frame searching for testing code.

Of course anti copying measures and exe compression might frustrate this.

RayeR(R)

Homepage

CZ,
30.11.2014, 04:28

@ ron

QuickView - video on older PC?

> I don't have a functioning Pentium, but my work horse machine is also an
> AMD K6, and it runs QuickView just fine in MS-DOS 6.20.

Do you mean also video playback runs? Well, then it would be caused by something else on his machine.

---
DOS gives me freedom to unlimited HW access.

ron(R)

Homepage E-mail

Australia,
30.11.2014, 06:09

@ RayeR

QuickView - video on older PC?

> > I don't have a functioning Pentium, but my work horse machine is also an
> > AMD K6, and it runs QuickView just fine in MS-DOS 6.20.
>
> Do you mean also video playback runs?

Certainly, with sound.

> Well, then it would be caused by something else on his machine.

I guess so.

---
AUSREG Consultancy http://www.ausreg.com
Tadpole Tunes http://www.tadpoletunes.com
Sna Keo Il http://www.tadpoletunes.com/sna_keo_il/

glennmcc(R)

Homepage E-mail

North Jackson, Ohio (USA),
30.11.2014, 20:50

@ ron

QuickView - video on older PC?

> > > I don't have a functioning Pentium, but my work horse machine is also
> an
> > > AMD K6, and it runs QuickView just fine in MS-DOS 6.20.
> >
> > Do you mean also video playback runs?
>
> Certainly, with sound.
>
> > Well, then it would be caused by something else on his machine.
>
> I guess so.


It might be a problem with the memory manager that's in-use.

I have found that here on my systems QV does not play well with QEMM
and I end up with a complete system crash requiring a cold reboot.

Therefore, I must do a bare boot or load EMM386 instead of QEMM

---
--
http://glennmcc.org/

DOS386(R)

01.12.2014, 04:33

@ Guti

QuickView - SOUND - Theora and VP8+VP9 and OPUS

> very pleasured that there appeared new sound driver PCI.SDR

COOL :-)

> Major changes in version 2.60:
> - MP4 support
> - H.264 and AAC codec support

I still miss Theora and VP8+VP9 and OPUS.

---
This is a LOGITECH mouse driver, but some software expect here
the following string:*** This is Copyright 1983 Microsoft ***

RayeR(R)

Homepage

CZ,
01.12.2014, 19:07

@ glennmcc

QuickView - video on older PC?

> I have found that here on my systems QV does not play well with QEMM
> and I end up with a complete system crash requiring a cold reboot.
> Therefore, I must do a bare boot or load EMM386 instead of QEMM

Yes, he tried clean config. Also he got reply from author that QV use ffmpeg library and it was not tested on 386 compatability (as it is too slow for video anyway)

---
DOS gives me freedom to unlimited HW access.

roytam(R)

02.12.2014, 03:06

@ Wengier

QuickView PCI sound driver!

> > > Wow, I'm very pleasured that there appeared new sound driver PCI.SDR
> fo
> > QV
> > > by Ruslan Starodubov (14 November 2014) that plays nice on my SB
> Audigy2
> > > (EMU 10k2) and also on NTB with Analog Devices/ICH4 AC'97 :-)
> > > http://www.multimediaware.com/qv/snddrv/
> > > He also have on his site modified ZDoom and Timidity with extendend
> > sound
> > > support
> > > http://sound-dos.narod.ru/
> > > :hungry:
> >
> > I'm also stupendously happy with the new soundcard support! Quickview
> > worked very well with my little netbook with Realtech onboard sound. It
> > also is much faster on this little processor (Intel Atom 1.6 OC to 1.93
> > Ghz). Quickview plays .MP4 files with full sound at 640x480 while the
> > MPLAYER DOS port struggles to play the same mpeg4 files at 480x360
> > resolution (with sound) and no dropped frames.
> >
> > And, thanks for the info about Starodubov URL. I can now play classic
> Doom
> > in DOS with sound on this same Acer AOA250 netbook, which has been
> running
> > very well indeed as my tricked out DOS system... Also .MIDI files with
> the
> > 8mb wavetable files! Wow, it's almost 2015 and DOS is thriving and
> living
> > strong!
> >
> > I shall write Mr. Hesseler and inquire about how to get a version of
> > Quickview v2.60 compressed more efficiently with UPX --lzma
> --ultra-brute.
> > Perhaps he will reply, I hope so.
>
> Yes, it is amazing that QV now actually works with several AC97 or even HDA
> sound cards. It will be even better if it can play .RMVB videos too (and I
> have a bunch of such files).

> > I have found that here on my systems QV does not play well with QEMM
> > and I end up with a complete system crash requiring a cold reboot.
> > Therefore, I must do a bare boot or load EMM386 instead of QEMM
>
> Yes, he tried clean config. Also he got reply from author that QV use
> ffmpeg library and it was not tested on 386 compatability (as it is too
> slow for video anyway)

then that's weird, ffmpeg should have RMVB decoding capability.(since I urged Kostya to fix RV30/RV40 decoding bugs in libav/ffmpeg in 2012/2013)

RayeR(R)

Homepage

CZ,
03.12.2014, 04:35

@ roytam

QuickView PCI sound driver!

BTW are you the same roytam as here? I'm Interested in PAE patching XP SP3 Pro CZ :)

---
DOS gives me freedom to unlimited HW access.

roytam(R)

03.12.2014, 07:24

@ RayeR

QuickView PCI sound driver!

> BTW are you the same roytam as
> here?
> I'm Interested in PAE patching XP SP3 Pro CZ :)

yeah :)
but beware that some drivers won't work correctly with patched kernel (for example, daemon tools CD-Audio grabbing capability will be lost)

RayeR(R)

Homepage

CZ,
03.12.2014, 10:43
(edited by RayeR, 03.12.2014, 20:43)

@ RayeR

QuickView - video on older PC?

Hrere's some message from author mentioning the CMOV instruction:

Further investigation shows that the cmov instruction is the cause of
the problem. So, the current version will not run on chipsets that
do not support this instruction.


edit:
yes, on K6-III there's no CMOV:
CPU vendor name: AuthenticAMD
CPU name: AMD-K6(tm)-III Processor
CPU type: 0 - primary, family: 5 (Pentium P5), model: D, stepping: 0 ( 5D0)
...
CMOV: 0, FXSAVE&FXSTOR: 0, PCLMULDQ: 0, MOVBE: 0, POPCNT: 0, OS/XSAVE: 0/0

---
DOS gives me freedom to unlimited HW access.

Zyzzle(R)

03.12.2014, 23:35

@ roytam

QuickView PCI sound driver!

> > BTW are you the same roytam as
> >
> here?
> > I'm Interested in PAE patching XP SP3 Pro CZ :)
>
> yeah :)
> but beware that some drivers won't work correctly with patched kernel (for
> example, daemon tools CD-Audio grabbing capability will be lost)

Do you have a list of such drivers that won't work with the > 4GB patch? I have a system with 32 GB and would love to try the patch! Also, I think I saw that you had an archive of the already-patched files, but is this still available anywhere to make the process as easy as possible? I'm on a US-based XPSP3 system. Will we still be able to access 3 GB per process with the patch with the /3gb and /pae switches in Boot.ini, or is it limited to 2 GB per process? And, I understand that double-buffering will be enabled in all cases on such a patched kernel?

I appreciate your expertese on this! Sorry to hijack the thread.

Zyzzle(R)

03.12.2014, 23:43

@ RayeR

QuickView PCI sound driver!

> ZDoom works for you? On my PC and notebook too it crashed. I can hear a
> tiny pop sound as soundcard was initialized but something else shoot it
> down. I suspected PMODEW crap so I unpacked & stripped it and used D3X but
> same result.
> Of course I tried with simplified autoexec/config and even without any
> drivers and memmgrs...

I spoke too soon. I can't get ZDoom to work, I can't even get the program to load without a crash. I get the exact same symptoms as you, a brief static, then crash. I have IDH6 HDA internal sound on that netbook. I did all that you did, strip, replaced stub, with no result.

>
> In case of Timidity it's better. It plays fine on my notebook ICH4 AC'97.
> On PC it finds ICH7 HDA but I cannot hear sound from any output. (Mplayer
> can play on my HDA).

Same for me with IDH6 sound. It plays fine without any sound output, seems to detect my soundcard, but no audible output. I can use it to write a .WAV file and play that just fine in QV or MPLAYER, or MPXPLAY, though.

> As I looked further the SDR driver for QV is just some wrapper around
> mpxplay's drivers (taken from Linux). It seems to hve some simple API,
> there's sample C code of RAW player and it's just a few func. calls. I'd
> like to know how it's handled multiple soundards in one PC if it's possible
> to select one specific (I prefer Audigy 2 over HDA).
>
> BTW the SDR driver on Ruslan site is older - 2011 than on QV site - 2014 so
> maybe there was some bug fixes that did't propagated to Zdoom and Timidity.
> Unfortunatelly Ruslan's email address is not working.

Too bad we couldn't contact him. Maybe he could update his version of ZDoom with the QV sound drivers, and it would work on our systems.

>
> BTW2 I have some quirk in QV on PC that I cannot fwd/rewind video with
> arrow keys but on notebook I can, does it works for others? ESC terminates
> OK.

I also have that quirk, QV doesn't FF or rewind for me on MPEG4 files or mpeg2 files, but does on audio files. Strange indeed. I'll have to write the author again and inquire if this is a bug or a feature. :-) :-)

roytam(R)

03.12.2014, 23:51

@ Zyzzle

QuickView PCI sound driver!

> > > BTW are you the same roytam as
> > >
> >
> here?
> > > I'm Interested in PAE patching XP SP3 Pro CZ :)
> >
> > yeah :)
> > but beware that some drivers won't work correctly with patched kernel
> (for
> > example, daemon tools CD-Audio grabbing capability will be lost)
>
> Do you have a list of such drivers that won't work with the > 4GB patch? I
> have a system with 32 GB and would love to try the patch! Also, I think I
> saw that you had an archive of the already-patched files, but is this still
> available anywhere to make the process as easy as possible? I'm on a
> US-based XPSP3 system. Will we still be able to access 3 GB per process
> with the patch with the /3gb and /pae switches in Boot.ini, or is it
> limited to 2 GB per process? And, I understand that double-buffering will
> be enabled in all cases on such a patched kernel?
>
many of your questions are unanswered and you have to try it yourself.
and yes double-buffering will be enable so MMIO overlapping access will not be failed.

RayeR(R)

Homepage

CZ,
04.12.2014, 00:21

@ roytam

XP PAE fix

> yeah :)
> but beware that some drivers won't work correctly with patched kernel (for
> example, daemon tools CD-Audio grabbing capability will be lost)

Hi,
I did read the whole thread but I'm a bit confused. There are described different patching methods, most important about the hal.dll. One case is to use modified from SP1 and other use modified from SP3. Also some patches fix one location in file and other fix more different places. There's also copying some drivers from W2k3 server to XP to fix some issues esp. with USB and camera.
I understand that problem can be divided in patching the OS and fixing/replacing the drivers. Both is important. But if I enforce double buffering for all drivers it should mean that all drivers will use only 32b phys. addr. (e.g. for DMA) and there shouldn't be crashes, just lowered performance. Is it true that with this kind of patch there's no problems? And which is it? In other case driver will use 36b (or 64b?) phys. addr. and those that are not ready to handle it may crash if copying over 4GB.

So what I did: for a quick test I goodled the XP64G.exe 2.0 (do you have 3.0 or 3.1?) - it's pretty easy to use. Just one click and it patched kernel and hal files (hm looks it found right offset in my localized Czech XP SP3) and added menu entry to boot.ini. I did some testing this evening. I also got Tom2D_Ru.exe benchmark and found a paradox that I got a better direct GDI result with PAE enabled (buffered is same as noPAE), see:
http://rayer.g6.cz/1tmp/xppae/
Do you have english version of Tom2D? I cannot download it from Tom's HW site and there's no alternative links. As I tested copying to USB flash, sound and network works. But I got a crash (restart, no BSOD) when I run browser, winamp, file manager and opened BlazeDTV for old PCI DVB tuner card, probably driver is too old to count with PAE. But second time I couldn't reproduce the crash even if I loaded RAM and CPU very hard (tuner worked). BTW is there some way to determine if driver is PAE compatible - eg. constains some kernel call that older drivers don't have? I'll continue testing.

Just for completness here's changes in files done by chinese XP64G.exe 2.0

Comparing files: NTKRNLPA.EXE <-> ntkl64g.exe
FFC ERROR at offset 312 (138h): 17h <-> 16h
FFC ERROR at offset 313 (139h): 34h <-> 33h (4 <-> 3)
FFC ERROR at offset 1437466 (15EF1Ah): 75h <-> 74h (u <-> t)
FFC ERROR at offset 1784401 (1B3A51h): 75h <-> 74h (u <-> t)
FFC found 4 ERRORS

Comparing files: HAL.DLL <-> hal64g.dll
FFC ERROR at offset 320 (140h): E7h <-> A7h (? <-> ?)
FFC ERROR at offset 321 (141h): F2h <-> CBh (? <-> -)
FFC ERROR at offset 96275 (17813h): 74h <-> EBh (t <-> U)
FFC ERROR at offset 122111 (1DCFFh): 10h <-> 30h
FFC ERROR at offset 122113 (1DD01h): 00h <-> FFh
FFC ERROR at offset 122114 (1DD02h): 00h <-> FFh
FFC ERROR at offset 122115 (1DD03h): 00h <-> FFh
FFC ERROR at offset 122116 (1DD04h): 01h <-> FFh
FFC ERROR at offset 122124 (1DD0Ch): 40h <-> 00h
FFC ERROR at offset 122125 (1DD0Dh): 00h <-> 40h
FFC ERROR at offset 122131 (1DD13h): 01h <-> 03h
FFC found 11 ERRORS

---
DOS gives me freedom to unlimited HW access.

RayeR(R)

Homepage

CZ,
04.12.2014, 00:25

@ Zyzzle

QuickView PCI sound driver!

> I also have that quirk, QV doesn't FF or rewind for me on MPEG4 files or
> mpeg2 files, but does on audio files. Strange indeed.

Maybe it has some link with what GPU driver is used. On NTB it use Radeon 7500 HW scaler but on PC only software one, so maybe the HW scaler gives QV more time to handle keyboard. But esc key works reliably and fast.

---
DOS gives me freedom to unlimited HW access.

roytam(R)

04.12.2014, 01:44

@ RayeR

XP PAE fix

> > yeah :)
> > but beware that some drivers won't work correctly with patched kernel
> (for
> > example, daemon tools CD-Audio grabbing capability will be lost)
>
> Hi,
> I did read the whole thread but I'm a bit confused. There are described
> different patching methods, most important about the hal.dll. One case is
> to use modified from SP1 and other use modified from SP3. Also some patches
> fix one location in file and other fix more different places. There's also
> copying some drivers from W2k3 server to XP to fix some issues esp. with
> USB and camera.
> I understand that problem can be divided in patching the OS and
> fixing/replacing the drivers. Both is important. But if I enforce double
> buffering for all drivers it should mean that all drivers will use only 32b
> phys. addr. (e.g. for DMA) and there shouldn't be crashes, just lowered
> performance. Is it true that with this kind of patch there's no problems?
> And which is it? In other case driver will use 36b (or 64b?) phys. addr.
> and those that are not ready to handle it may crash if copying over 4GB.
>

Technical details:
http://iknowu.duckdns.org/files/public/Windows_XP_...emove_PAE_Limit/Windows_XP_Remove_PAE_Limit.htm

> So what I did: for a quick test I goodled the XP64G.exe 2.0 (do you have
> 3.0 or 3.1?) - it's pretty easy to use. Just one click and it patched
> kernel and hal files (hm looks it found right offset in my localized Czech
> XP SP3) and added menu entry to boot.ini. I did some testing this evening.
> I also got Tom2D_Ru.exe benchmark and found a paradox that I got a better
> direct GDI result with PAE enabled (buffered is same as noPAE), see:
> http://rayer.g6.cz/1tmp/xppae/

I haven't tried XP64G since I don't trust patches that come from China and I patched file by myself with 16Edit.

> Do you have english version of Tom2D? I cannot download it from Tom's HW
> site and there's no alternative links.
Go and get it ;)
http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php/...om-made-PC?p=7043237&viewfull=1#post7043237

> As I tested copying to USB flash,
> sound and network works. But I got a crash (restart, no BSOD) when I run
> browser, winamp, file manager and opened BlazeDTV for old PCI DVB tuner
> card, probably driver is too old to count with PAE. But second time I
> couldn't reproduce the crash even if I loaded RAM and CPU
> very hard
> (tuner worked). BTW is there some way to determine if driver is PAE
> compatible - eg. constains some kernel call that older drivers don't have?
> I'll continue testing.

if you have crash minidump, you may use nirsoft BlueScreenView to check which driver is in fault.
but from my memory, Realtek drivers are easy to crash in such environment.

RayeR(R)

Homepage

CZ,
04.12.2014, 02:11

@ roytam

XP PAE fix

> Technical details:
> http://iknowu.duckdns.org/files/public/Windows_XP_...emove_PAE_Limit/Windows_XP_Remove_PAE_Limit.htm

Yes I readed this. If I understand well, his patch always use double buffering even for 64b capable drivers. So this should solve all incompatability and everything should work, isnt?

> I haven't tried XP64G since I don't trust patches that come from China and
> I patched file by myself with 16Edit.

I understand. But think about what backdoors might left M$ in windows on NSA request :) I cannot tell if it hasn't some side effect but I can easily restore my whole XP installation and copy there only those 2 patched files. From comparison it differs only a bit so it doesn't look like trojan was installed in patched files :)

> Go and get it ;)
> http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php/...om-made-PC?p=7043237&viewfull=1#post7043237

Thanks.

> if you have crash minidump, you may use nirsoft BlueScreenView to check
> which driver is in fault.

No, there was not BSOD neither minidump. Simply machine stopped responding for 1sec while last few samples from DMA buffer was played by soundcard followed by immediate reboot. It freezed so hard - no disk access to save dump.

> but from my memory, Realtek drivers are easy to crash in such environment.

I use RTENICXP.SYS 5.776.1111.2010 from 12.11.2010 for my onboard RTL8111D.
PCI Tuner probably use FLYPCI.SYS from 10.10.2003, much older, probably nobody cared about PAE there.

---
DOS gives me freedom to unlimited HW access.

roytam(R)

04.12.2014, 08:26

@ RayeR

XP PAE fix

> > Technical details:
> >
> http://iknowu.duckdns.org/files/public/Windows_XP_...emove_PAE_Limit/Windows_XP_Remove_PAE_Limit.htm
>
> Yes I readed this. If I understand well, his patch always use double
> buffering even for 64b capable drivers. So this should solve all
> incompatability and everything should work, isnt?
>

Yes in theory. But it knew vendors can make bad drivers to break that. ;)

> > I haven't tried XP64G since I don't trust patches that come from China
> and
> > I patched file by myself with 16Edit.
>
> I understand. But think about what backdoors might left M$ in windows on
> NSA request :) I cannot tell if it hasn't some side effect but I can easily
> restore my whole XP installation and copy there only those 2 patched files.
> From comparison it differs only a bit so it doesn't look like trojan was
> installed in patched files :)
>

I can't trust the patcher but I can trust what the changes applied to files.

> > Go and get it ;)
> >
> http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php/...om-made-PC?p=7043237&viewfull=1#post7043237
>
> Thanks.
>
> > if you have crash minidump, you may use nirsoft BlueScreenView to check
> > which driver is in fault.
>
> No, there was not BSOD neither minidump. Simply machine stopped responding
> for 1sec while last few samples from DMA buffer was played by soundcard
> followed by immediate reboot. It freezed so hard - no disk access to save
> dump.
>
> > but from my memory, Realtek drivers are easy to crash in such
> environment.
>
> I use RTENICXP.SYS 5.776.1111.2010 from 12.11.2010 for my onboard
> RTL8111D.
> PCI Tuner probably use FLYPCI.SYS from 10.10.2003, much older, probably
> nobody cared about PAE there.

Realtek HDAudio driver can also crash the system (but I mainly get BSoD from RTENICXP.SYS with whatever version)

RayeR(R)

Homepage

CZ,
04.12.2014, 11:28

@ roytam

XP PAE fix

> Yes in theory. But it knew vendors can make bad drivers to break that. ;)

But how can this drivers break system when they are allowed to operate only with 32b address? Could patched hal.dll SP1 work better than SP3?

> I can't trust the patcher but I can trust what the changes applied to
> files.

I found also version 2.1b from 1.5.2013 that also includes usbport.sys and usbhub.sys 5.2.3790.3959 eng. probably from w2k3 server as it was suggested on forum. I'll check if it patch same bytes as 2.0.

> Realtek HDAudio driver can also crash the system (but I mainly get BSoD
> from RTENICXP.SYS with whatever version)

I don't use onboard HDA but PCI SB Audigy2 with alternative kX drivers. Can you push the system to BSOD by some sequence of operations or is it absolutely random? Does it depend on network load?

---
DOS gives me freedom to unlimited HW access.

roytam(R)

04.12.2014, 13:00

@ RayeR

XP PAE fix

> > Yes in theory. But it knew vendors can make bad drivers to break that.
> ;)
>
> But how can this drivers break system when they are allowed to operate only
> with 32b address? Could patched hal.dll SP1 work better than SP3?
>

SP1 hal.dll is correct and no further patching is needed.

> > I can't trust the patcher but I can trust what the changes applied to
> > files.
>
> I found also version 2.1b from 1.5.2013 that also includes usbport.sys and
> usbhub.sys 5.2.3790.3959 eng. probably from w2k3 server as it was suggested
> on forum. I'll check if it patch same bytes as 2.0.
>

I'd rather replace whole usb*.sys with Win2003R2 SP2.

> > Realtek HDAudio driver can also crash the system (but I mainly get BSoD
> > from RTENICXP.SYS with whatever version)
>
> I don't use onboard HDA but PCI SB Audigy2 with alternative kX drivers. Can
> you push the system to BSOD by some sequence of operations or is it
> absolutely random? Does it depend on network load?

It may. For me it happens randomly when network has lots of connections (i.e. BT tasks are transferring)

RayeR(R)

Homepage

CZ,
04.12.2014, 16:21
(edited by RayeR, 04.12.2014, 16:39)

@ roytam

XP PAE fix

> SP1 hal.dll is correct and no further patching is needed.

OK, if I try kernel patched by XP64G.EXE with oroginal SP1 hal it reboots immediatelly after selecting boot menu entry. But the patching differs from how it was done on forum and looks like it cannot be mixed.
BTW I tried to make MD5 of all windows files before and after patching by XP64G.EXE and there was not difference (expect some logs and prefetch files) so it's clean. It only adds new patched files.

> I'd rather replace whole usb*.sys with Win2003R2 SP2.

Yes, maybe there also was some hot fixes of usb* files later SP2. And same for XP SP3, I have unofficial SP4 from collected about 100 hotfixes after SP3 that may contains updated usb* drivers. I don't have any problems with USB (flashes, external HDD) so maybe it was solved in some post-SP3 hotfix.
usbhub.sys - 5.1.2600.5512 14.4.2008 (probably original SP3)
usbport.sys - 5.1.2600.6437 9.8.2013 (probably post-SP3 hotfix)

> It may. For me it happens randomly when network has lots of connections
> (i.e. BT tasks are transferring)

Aha, so it rather depends on num of cons than transfer rate of single con, I never use more than a few cons...

---
DOS gives me freedom to unlimited HW access.

Zyzzle(R)

18.12.2014, 00:39

@ Zyzzle

QuickView PCI sound driver!

> I also have that quirk, QV doesn't FF or rewind for me on MPEG4 files s or
> mpeg2 files, but does on audio files. Strange indeed. I'll have to write
> the author again and inquire if this is a bug or a feature.

The author confirms that it is not possible to FF or REW mpeg4 files, so I guess there is no code included for doing that.

RayeR(R)

Homepage

CZ,
18.12.2014, 10:44

@ Zyzzle

QuickView PCI sound driver!

> The author confirms that it is not possible to FF or REW mpeg4 files, so I
> guess there is no code included for doing that.

Hm, maybe, on my NTB I tried only divx/xvid files but not h264 yet.

---
DOS gives me freedom to unlimited HW access.

Mpxplay(R)

03.01.2015, 04:44

@ RayeR

QuickView PCI sound driver!

> As I looked further the SDR driver for QV is just some wrapper around
> mpxplay's drivers (taken from Linux). It seems to hve some simple API,
> there's sample C code of RAW player and it's just a few func. calls. I'd
> like to know how it's handled multiple soundards in one PC if it's possible
> to select one specific (I prefer Audigy 2 over HDA).

Interesting when somebody uses a code from a freeware/opensource program to improve his own non-free stuff.
Probably much more people paid for QV than supported Mpxplay by donations... :-|

RayeR(R)

Homepage

CZ,
03.01.2015, 18:00

@ Mpxplay

QuickView PCI sound driver!

> Interesting when somebody uses a code from a freeware/opensource program to
> improve his own non-free stuff.
> Probably much more people paid for QV than supported Mpxplay by
> donations... :-|

But in this case the author of the PCI sound driver is not the same person as author of QuickView, see the abandoned russian page.

---
DOS gives me freedom to unlimited HW access.

RayeR(R)

Homepage

CZ,
26.01.2015, 03:06

@ roytam

XP PAE fix

BTW after upgrading DVB tuner driver I have found another isue with USB device and PAE (and my friend has problem with HP scanner)
http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/171482-get-windows...-to-recognize-more-than-4gb-with-pae/?p=1093083

---
DOS gives me freedom to unlimited HW access.

glennmcc(R)

Homepage E-mail

North Jackson, Ohio (USA),
28.01.2015, 01:13

@ RayeR

XP PAE fix

Is it just me, or does anyone else find it ironic to be making posts
about Windows where _this_ is the signature of the poster ??? ;-)

"DOS gives me freedom to unlimited HW access."

---
--
http://glennmcc.org/

RayeR(R)

Homepage

CZ,
17.02.2015, 18:22

@ glennmcc

XP PAE fix

> Is it just me, or does anyone else find it ironic to be making posts
> about Windows where _this_ is the signature of the poster ??? ;-)

I don't see a conflict here, DOS is fine for some tasks and Windows is better for others. I rather flash my BIOS under DOS and rather developing my photos with Adobe LR under Windows. As there are very few posts nowdays I hope that I didn't bother anybody with this occasional OT. Even I guess that most of users here don't run DOS only but use also some kind of Windows or Linux so it maybe interesting for someone else like roytam...

---
DOS gives me freedom to unlimited HW access.

glennmcc(R)

Homepage E-mail

North Jackson, Ohio (USA),
18.02.2015, 03:02

@ RayeR

XP PAE fix

> > Is it just me, or does anyone else find it ironic to be making posts
> > about Windows where _this_ is the signature of the poster ??? ;-)
>
> I don't see a conflict here, DOS is fine for some tasks and Windows is
> better for others. I rather flash my BIOS under DOS and rather developing
> my photos with Adobe LR under Windows. As there are very few posts nowdays
> I hope that I didn't bother anybody with this occasional OT. Even I guess
> that most of users here don't run DOS only but use also some kind of
> Windows or Linux so it maybe interesting for someone else like roytam...

Quite true.

My previous post was just a feeble attempt at humor. ;-)

I for one am booted to OpenDos v7.01 almost exclusively on one computer
while also booted to SlackWare Linux v14.1-current 64bit on the other.

I am also testing-out the preview release of Win10 on yet another.
(so-far I am totally underwhelmed with W10)

---
--
http://glennmcc.org/

RayeR(R)

Homepage

CZ,
19.02.2015, 17:39

@ glennmcc

XP PAE fix

> My previous post was just a feeble attempt at humor. ;-)
OK
> I am also testing-out the preview release of Win10 on yet another.
> (so-far I am totally underwhelmed with W10)
So beware the built-in keylogger :) As I read somewhere it may collect and send your key strokes and part of user files - just for better testing and your better experience from final version :)

A few days ago I was forced to use company NTB with Win8 and it caused me psychical trauma :P I can't belive how other people can use such ugly and non-ergonomic GUI. I was fighting with improper font rendering in some apps that caused the fonts looked very fuzzy. I tried tunning cleartype but it didn't helped (it works on sub-pixel level but this was much worse). The display is fullHD so it has enough DPI to display sharp text - in other apps it was OK. I could only change some global scaling/DPI that made it look better but graphics object became very tiny. I didn't see this issue on XP-W7.
Also I don't agree MS idea of unifying OS to looks same on a phone and on desktop. Every platform has it's specific usage and should have different ergonomic design to get best of every platform. It's like trying to make an universal car that must fit to everyone-bullshit...

---
DOS gives me freedom to unlimited HW access.

glennmcc(R)

Homepage E-mail

North Jackson, Ohio (USA),
20.02.2015, 00:16

@ RayeR

(OT) W8/W10 (was XP PAE fix)

> > My previous post was just a feeble attempt at humor. ;-)
> OK
> > I am also testing-out the preview release of Win10 on yet another.
> > (so-far I am totally underwhelmed with W10)
> So beware the built-in keylogger :) As I read somewhere it may collect and
> send your key strokes and part of user files - just for better testing and
> your better experience from final version :)
>
> A few days ago I was forced to use company NTB with Win8 and it caused me
> psychical trauma :P I can't belive how other people can use such ugly and
> non-ergonomic GUI. I was fighting with improper font rendering in some apps
> that caused the fonts looked very fuzzy. I tried tunning cleartype but it
> didn't helped (it works on sub-pixel level but this was much worse). The
> display is fullHD so it has enough DPI to display sharp text - in other
> apps it was OK. I could only change some global scaling/DPI that made it
> look better but graphics object became very tiny. I didn't see this issue
> on XP-W7.
> Also I don't agree MS idea of unifying OS to looks same on a phone and on
> desktop. Every platform has it's specific usage and should have different
> ergonomic design to get best of every platform. It's like trying to make an
> universal car that must fit to everyone-bullshit...

Every person I have spoken with whom has W8 HATES it.

In my testing of the preview release of W10... it is just as bad as W8

The only thing really different is that the 'start menu' is back again.

Other than that... it might as well be labeled as W8.2

---
--
http://glennmcc.org/

Back to the board
Thread view  Mix view  Order  «  
 
15157 Postings in 1361 Threads, 250 registered users, 9 users online (0 registered, 9 guests)
DOS ain't dead | Admin contact
RSS Feed
powered by my little forum