DOS ain't dead

Forum index page

Back to the board
Thread view  Mix view  Order
Rugxulo(R)

Homepage

Usono,
15.09.2015, 02:14

MetaDOS 0.2 (network-aware floppy .img, 100% open source) (Announce)

Since someone was asking about packet drivers under QEMU on the freedos-user mailing list, I decided to finally just upload MetaDOS 0.2 for them/us. It's far from perfect, somewhat simplistic and rough around the edges, but (for now) it's better than nothing.

http://www.ibiblio.org/pub/micro/pc-stuff/freedos/files/distributions/unofficial/metados/

It's only default a 600 kb .ZIP (with 3 MB .7z for full sources). You can see a listing of the .img contents here.

Features:

* simple floppy .img (minimal tools, XMS only, customizable RAM disk size)
* but a full HD install is still possible (fdisk, format, sys, bootmgr, xwcopy)
* custom FD 2041 kernel, easy to rebuild (minor patches for OLB [Eric Auer] and ctime [Matej Horvat])
* networking enabled by default for QEMU or VBox (NE2000 or PCNET), e.g. FTP (or optionally Wget or Links2, if needed)
* "fetch" to grab various files (e.g. FD "BASE" or "UTIL")
* "stubs" (to fill in gaps dynamically at runtime)
* "tests" (to prove that everything works as intended)
* "binhack" for (legally) patching binary files when needed
* "extras" that aren't crucial but still interesting
* isolation of certain settings, thus %BOOT%, %RAMDRIVE%, %EDITOR% are easily changeable (so booting USB on my old P4 as "c:" via PLoP boot manager floppy still works even if USB is forced read-only)

Rugxulo(R)

Homepage

Usono,
17.10.2015, 01:35

@ Rugxulo

MetaDOS 0.2 (network-aware floppy .img, 100% open source)

BTW, I do not claim that this is universally useful for all use cases, but I tried to at least accomplish something, albeit weakly. It is not meant to be a perfect solution, only a stepping stone to better ideas (I hope).

If you know of a better alternative, I'm all ears. One in particular is http://www.netbootdisk.com/ , but that hasn't been updated in five years, probably abandoned. The main problem there is that it isn't independent, so you still need to have a MS-DOS or PC-DOS system floppy, and rumor has it that Win10 doesn't include one anymore.

Back to the board
Thread view  Mix view  Order
15192 Postings in 1365 Threads, 250 registered users, 16 users online (0 registered, 16 guests)
DOS ain't dead | Admin contact
RSS Feed