Back to home page

DOS ain't dead

Forum index page

Back to the forum
Board view  Mix view

Norton Utilities 5.01 Error Messages (Users)

posted by CluelessInSeattl(R), Seattle, USA, 12.08.2012, 18:03

Hi! I'm trying to resurrect an old MS-DOS 6.21 system I used to run years ago on a Toshiba 1910 CS laptop. I joined DOS ain't dead about a month ago and posted an introduction in the Miscellaneous forum: Old DOS Newbie Seeks Advice

I've made considerable progress since my last post over there, and now have my old system more or less up and running on a hand-me-down Toshiba Satellite 2545XCDT which I now use every day as my notepad.

Yesterday I tried to use the Unerase utility in Norton Utilities 5.01 to check for remnants of deleted files on the hard drive, but got this message: "Error reading directory."

The help file suggested I "calibrate" the HD, but when I tried to run the Norton Calibrate utility it returned the message: "There are no hard disks available to test."

But the Norton System Summary shows "Hard disks: 23M"

I'm more than a little rusty at just running MS-DOS for my day-to-day note-taking, so troubleshooting this discrepancy is going to present quite a challenge to me.

I'd be grateful for some help determining what first steps I can take to try to isolate the source of this problem.

---
Will in Seattle
a.k.a. "Clueless"
Running MS-DOS 6.21

Complete thread:

Back to the forum
Board view  Mix view
15189 Postings in 1365 Threads, 250 registered users, 13 users online (0 registered, 13 guests)
DOS ain't dead | Admin contact
RSS Feed