Back to home page

DOS ain't dead

Forum index page

Back to the forum
Board view  Mix view

system~1 RESTO~1: Delete Them? (Users)

posted by CluelessInSeattl(R), Seattle, USA, 17.01.2013, 17:44

I'm cleaning up and backing up the hard drive in my hand-me-down Toshiba Satellite 2545XCDT laptop on which I'm running MS-DOS 6.21.

I'm backing up essential files prior to reformatting and repartitioning the hard drive. (It turned out that a couple of my legacy DOS programs can't handle partitions larger than 1 GB).

Working my way through the directories on the HD, I came across a weird directory that looks like it was created by a back-up utility about a year ago. (Due to chronic disabling health issues my memory is failing me these days and I have no recollection of creating these directories or files)

If you have ever worked in MS-DOS, can you tell me if these directory or file names ring any bells:

system~1 [Directory: No files]
RESTO~1 [Sub-directory: No files]
RP97 [Sub-sub-directory: 625 Files]

That last directory contains 625 files with names like:

A0007069.COM
A0007103.EXE
ETC....

My first impulse is to just to delete the whole works.

Any ideas on how to identify which program created these files, and how to figure out the names of those 625 files in that last sub-directory?

The fact that two of these directories have the ~# tags at the ends of their names would seem to indicate that the directories were created by one of the versions of Windows that had the so-called long filename (lfn)capability.

But I don't think I've ever run Windows on that litle laptop. Only MS-DOS. However, it is a hand-me-down laptop, and probably had some version or other of Windows on it when I received it. But as I recollect, the first thing I did when I received the laptop was to reformat and repartition the hard drive and then install MS-DOS 6.21.

---
Will in Seattle
a.k.a. "Clueless"
Running MS-DOS 6.21

Complete thread:

Back to the forum
Board view  Mix view
15113 Postings in 1359 Threads, 249 registered users, 15 users online (0 registered, 15 guests)
DOS ain't dead | Admin contact
RSS Feed