Back to home page

DOS ain't dead

Forum index page

Back to the forum
Board view  Mix view

Linux drops 386 and some 486 supports (Announce)

posted by Rugxulo(R) Homepage, Usono, 18.01.2013, 18:04

> Ok, I have to correct my post. Haven't read carefully your response. Yes,
> the most distributions use i686 only kernel. That's not the problem if
> userspace is compiled with generic x86 support (you can prepare your own
> kernel before the installation), but might be the problem if some packages
> use i686 specific instructions.

The 686(ish) CMOV is overrated, as even Linus himself has admitted. But that's basically all GCC does (not counting scheduling and alignment). Dare I say that GCC is suboptimal in its x86 instruction output? Compilers are very complicated, so writing a decent backend for so many x86 subarchitectures can't be easy. Though I can't imagine speed being that big an issue for modern machines, but "nobody" likes old machines enough to care much for them.

Anyways, Clang is gaining a lot of ground, though I think it too probably assumes at least 686 (PPro) + SSE2. So while that is considered an alternative to GCC, for this particular problem it may not help much.

There are of course other C compilers (PCC, TCC, LCC, ACK), and other languages have their own compilers too (FPC, FBC, XPL0), so I don't think it's the end of the world unless you need a specific version of a specific tool prebuilt for older hardware.

Complete thread:

Back to the forum
Board view  Mix view
15297 Postings in 1378 Threads, 254 registered users, 13 users online (1 registered, 12 guests)
DOS ain't dead | Admin contact
RSS Feed