Back to home page

DOS ain't dead

Forum index page

Back to the forum
Board view  Mix view

86duino OpenHW project with DOS/DJGPP support (Announce)

posted by RayeR(R) Homepage, CZ, 17.09.2013, 14:20

I'm forwarding this topic from DJGPP google group for those interested about new HW for running DOS on it. This project is extraordinary as fully OpenHW/OpenSource project. So all schematics are available. It uses Coreboot+SeaBIOS as openfirmware and it's targetted as DJGPP with arduino 86 libs dev. platform. It's small board like Arduino but based on Vortex86EX SoC with 256MB RAM and PCI-E x1.
http://www.86duino.com/?page_id=11
It allows to connect external VGA module via mini PCI-E. Otherwise it has terminal emulation over serial port. One version is made as small add-on PCE-E x1 card that behaves like fast (6Mbit) UART in host PC so you can directly talk to it via terminal program. It also implements HD audio and the developer just presented patch to WSS and MPxplay. According to this I updated my WSS package and I also added intel PCH 8x series but cannot test it. The developer told that he was successfull with patched WSS and mpxplay. Unfortunatelly it doesn't contains SB emulation via SMI routine but as it's based on coreboot it could be implemented by volunteers with proper knowledges - more easy than on closed source BIOS PC.
The developer also seeks for solution how to run DJGPP building environment on 64-bit OS PC with easy file share with host system so he probably use Dosbox but there are issues with LFN that probably will require individual patching.
Estimated price of the board would be around 50$ (but depends on sales decision).

---
DOS gives me freedom to unlimited HW access.

Complete thread:

Back to the forum
Board view  Mix view
15188 Postings in 1365 Threads, 250 registered users, 14 users online (0 registered, 14 guests)
DOS ain't dead | Admin contact
RSS Feed