Back to home page

DOS ain't dead

Forum index page

Back to the forum
Board view  Mix view

FREE Basic & Pascal (Developers)

posted by marcov(R), 10.07.2014, 11:29

> > Last but not least, I assume LD got an update somewhere along the way.
>
> Nope, FPC 2.6.2 GO32V2 is still using old 2.17 from 2008,

Laaca was comparing with FPC 1.0.10 which is from 2003.

> COFF only.
> According to GCC 4.9.0's
> online
> manual, the whole --gc-sections stuff only works with ELF and GNU
> BinUtils or Solaris' linker. It doesn't even work for PE/COFF (tier two;
> see here),
> which is 1000x more popular than DJGPP (tier nada).

True, but since Go32v2 (and I assume DJGPP) programs are smaller, you can go the "generate one assembler file per symbol, and then AR them together" way.

FPC 1.x did that, and yes it is a bit slow, but not that bad on Go32v2. On windows it was worse due to the header files, but that is probably related to FPC's auto generation of import libraries, and might be different for mingw.

FPC 1.9 and higher did the AS and AR step internally for (our) TIER 1 minus OS X. FPC 2.2.x features internal linkers for win32,wince and win64, though not all mingw libraries were linkable with the internal linker, that was only resolved with 2.6.0.

> This is why things like this happen:
> mkdir()
> pulling in ctime.o

Wrong. It happened because nobody created proper section smartlinking for those binary targets.

A library programmer can't be required to assume responsibility for each and every dead or sleeping target because he wants to change a couple of lines. One might as well cease development of the library code.

That being said we try to avoid making global decisions on FPC without testing them on both windows, OS X and Linux. This to avoid unixisms creeping in.

> > It might be worth testing with 2.7.x too, since IIRC 2.7.x has
> > an internal linker for go32v2.
>
> The daily snapshot of GO32V2 is still broken. It's still incorrectly
> compiled, so it doesn't work at all (-iSO -iTO -iSP -iTP = "win32 win32
> i386 i386"). You might want to ping Pierre about that.

If I talk to him, I will pass it on, but I don't talk/mail to him that often. He's not very active in the last few months, so he might be aware of it, simply not having the time.

Note that the internal linker should make it easier to create snapshots on non-dos, though probably still an AS is needed for the startup code. (but caching that near immutable file and replacing it with an dummy AS might work)

Complete thread:

Back to the forum
Board view  Mix view
15108 Postings in 1358 Threads, 245 registered users, 12 users online (0 registered, 12 guests)
DOS ain't dead | Admin contact
RSS Feed