Board view  Mix view

Enhanced DOSKEY 2.5 (Announce)

posted by Wengier(R) E-mail, 14.10.2014, 23:43

> Thanks for explanation. I never used original doskey for more than a
> command history so I'm not much demanding user. When I discovered cmdedit I
> was very happy to have tab command completion that is the main feature I
> use. A nice feature would be integrated scrollback buffer that use XMS to
> save low mem.

I see. So the main feature you use is the Tab completion feature. Indeed, both Enhanced DOSKEY and CMDEDIT have this functionality (so I did not mention this as a difference in my previous post). However, while these two pieces of software have some common features for Tab completion, such as LFN support, there are also a few differences in their implementations for the auto-completion feature. Below is a short (and probably incomplete) list of features that I have found out that Enhanced DOSKEY supports (for Tab completion) whereas CMDEDIT does not:

1. Enhanced DOSKEY 2.5 support DBCS (double-byte character set), whereas CMDEDIT does not;

2. If the command entered are CD/MD/RD (or CHDIR/MKDIR/RMDIR), then its arguments that Enhanced DOSKEY's Tab completion will complete are limited to directories (not files). CMDEDIT does not support this feature;

3. Enhanced DOSKEY supports the inclusion and exclusion of system and hidden files for Tab-completion. CMDEDIT does not support this feature (it always exclude system and hidden files);

4. Enhanced DOSKEY supports both APPEND and CHANGE mode for Tab-completion. CMDEDIT supports only one mode for this;

5. Enhanced DOSKEY will complete command or file names into the actual names saved on the disk, but CMDEDIT always changes everything to lower case.

So if you need any of above (and perhaps more) features for Tab completion, it may be a good idea to use Enhanced DOSKEY instead of CMDEDIT. Also thanks a lot for your suggestion!

Complete thread:

Back to the forum
Board view  Mix view
15111 Postings in 1359 Threads, 247 registered users, 10 users online (0 registered, 10 guests)
DOS ain't dead | Admin contact
RSS Feed