Back to home page

DOS ain't dead

Forum index page

Back to the forum
Board view  Mix view

yet another false positive (Announce)

posted by Rugxulo(R) Homepage, Usono, 27.11.2014, 01:24

> >> If really worried, grab sources, compile it yourself, and re-scan it.
>
> I like to have the "official" compiles provided by the Bochs team, for
> reference and in order to do reports. I do compile personal, lighter &
> faster versions lacking the features I don't usually need (AMD64, e.g.).

BTW, I just now upgraded Regina Rexx (from SourceForge) on this machine. So I downloaded the (manual) install .ZIPs (32-bit and 64-bit) and source .ZIP, but Chrome browser (in its infinite wisdom) flagged two of the three files. Not warned, like they often do, but actually said it's malicious! Though it did (barely) let me "recover" the files ("hurt me plenty" ... sic!).

This is ridiculous. First of all, SourceForge, as mentioned, declares it is "verified virus free!". Secondly, how the hell do you have a virus in a source-only .ZIP file?? Sure, it's possible but extremely unlikely! Thirdly, I just uploaded both problematic files to http://www.virustotal.com , and they found literally nothing!

It's like they want to force us to sign all binaries (and webpages), which is just ridiculous. I'm not saying all protection is bad. I reluctantly use an anti-virus myself (and often have false positives). Maybe it helps (sometimes). The problem is that the cure is often worse than the disease!

Complete thread:

Back to the forum
Board view  Mix view
15108 Postings in 1358 Threads, 246 registered users, 13 users online (0 registered, 13 guests)
DOS ain't dead | Admin contact
RSS Feed