Back to home page

DOS ain't dead

Forum index page

Back to the forum
Board view  Mix view

64b long mode and VMX/VT-x tutorial and source examples (Developers)

posted by RayeR(R) Homepage, CZ, 10.03.2015, 20:01

> I cannot comment on this since it is quite a while ago that I looked into
> this a little bit. However, I would take a look at the Nova, Xen or KVM
> source code and see if this provides some help.

I played with NovaHV ~2 yeas ago with freedos but I was disappointed that most of apps ended immediatelly in vmm error so lost the interest. I still have some screenshots here:
http://rayer.g6.cz/1tmp/novahv/
Anyway, Nova, Xen or KVM sources are sooo huge and I no longer have spare endless hours to dive in. The tutorial I linked is much more smaller and of course less functional. The text is written very understandable, if you have necessary background. I would rather see if its possible to make even lighter hypervisor that would do just simple run a single instance of dos (including v86/pm) in pass-through mode. There will be a possibility that guest DOS can destroy VMM code but it would be enough to limit max XMS to leave some spare MB RAM at end. But before all that I would need better understand the paging, I never hanled this stuff...
That's a pitty that Japhet left his work on DOS stuff, he's the one who have the best understanding of this memory management, etc... :(

---
DOS gives me freedom to unlimited HW access.

Complete thread:

Back to the forum
Board view  Mix view
15192 Postings in 1365 Threads, 250 registered users, 12 users online (0 registered, 12 guests)
DOS ain't dead | Admin contact
RSS Feed