Back to home page

DOS ain't dead

Forum index page

Back to the forum
Board view  Mix view

Compilation Woes: A study in frustration. (Emulation)

posted by Zyzzle(R), 12.03.2015, 23:27

> Dunno, I see some files at http://patpend.net/ftp/emulators/coleco/ that
> may prove interesting, for comparison, if you're bored:
>
> ColEm22-Windows-src.zip
> 134K
> ColEm24-Windows-src.zip
> 235K

Almost one year later, I decided to give it another try. This time, I succeeded. The secret I found by trial and error was to included these options in the makefile:

wcl386 -zq -zp4 -5r -otexan -l=dos4g -fe=colem.exe -DLSB_FIRST -DBPP8 -DMSDOS -DCOLEM *.c

The BPP8 limits graphics output to only 8 bits, which is all that is necessary for emulating a Colecovision console. That was the key for me.

I compiled v. 2.6 which is the last available version which has the DOS source available.

Then, I noticed that v. 3.3 is the current release, which has Windows source only. It seemed possible to combine the fixes and enhancements of v 3.3 (added cheat search engine!) with the DOS parts of the C source of v. 2.6 (ie, MSDOS.C), so I tried and it worked!

The only trouble is Colem MS-DOS only supports Soundblaster family for sound (no modern PCI cards), but otherwise it runs perfectly, fast, and now I don't need to load Windoze to get my Colecovision fix...

Furthermore, I've got the UPX'd version of 3.3 down to only 70 kb compressed with the StubX (d3stub.exe).

So, if anyone's interested (probably no one?), if you want a version of the latest Colem 3.3 ported to DOS, let me know!

Complete thread:

Back to the forum
Board view  Mix view
15108 Postings in 1358 Threads, 246 registered users, 14 users online (0 registered, 14 guests)
DOS ain't dead | Admin contact
RSS Feed