Back to home page

DOS ain't dead

Forum index page

Back to the forum
Board view  Mix view

Quake 2 port for DOS, now with HDA sound! (Announce)

posted by Rugxulo(R) Homepage, Usono, 30.06.2015, 03:32

> Also Zdoom and Quake1 updated engines are there :hungry:
> Hope this would help other DOS sound coders.

His builds of Zdoom are extremely buggy! The "WATCOM\ZDOOM.EXE" (PMODE/W) one does work on this Lenovo's HDA card, but some naive things cause hard crashes (e.g. Tab key to bring up map). It's not stable by any means, but it's very impressive that sound can actually work in DOS on modern hardware.

P.S. Unrelated, one guy (Mateusz) did recently mention issues with (old, 1995) Ultimate Doom on the freedos-user mailing list. I don't have that version, but shareware 1.9 is still available (which is what I'm using with ZDoom, perhaps that's the problem??). Anyways, on original 1.9 shareware (with old DOS4G Professional 1.95 built-in), PC speaker actually works better than average (at least better than nothing, better than just one single buzz, thus a variety of sounds, even if no direct digital .WAV sfx). BTW, I'm no diehard mouse user, but I'm also impressed that mouse support is so well thought out and actually useful. But that's just a (greatly) delayed opinion on my part. :-P

Complete thread:

Back to the forum
Board view  Mix view
15188 Postings in 1365 Threads, 250 registered users, 14 users online (0 registered, 14 guests)
DOS ain't dead | Admin contact
RSS Feed