Back to home page

DOS ain't dead

Forum index page

Back to the forum
Board view  Mix view

release candidate of Freepascal 3.0 (Announce)

posted by Rugxulo(R) Homepage, Usono, 29.08.2015, 07:26

> > The release docs mention that also windows-realmode DOS crosscompiler is
> > also available but I haven't found the needed archive.
>
> Maybe he didn't generate it for the RC1 since it takes 5-7 hours to build
> due to the old way of smartlinking (calling watcom's assembler for every
> function)

I haven't tried that piece (and only minimally otherwise), but presumably this is it:

ftp://gd.tuwien.ac.at/languages/pascal/fpc/beta/3.0.0-rc1/i386-win32/fpc-3.0.0rc1.i8086-msdos.exe

> > In future will be released also DOS32-realmodeDOS crosscompiler what is
> > absolutely cool.

Even though I don't understand their difficulty with doing that already, I've been occasionally using the Win32 snapshot under HX.

> More good news; this week Nikolay reported that the internal linker for
> 16-bit is coming along nicely, and the system is initially watcom-free:
>
> This brings 16-bit compilation on a real dos system closer (though as
> i386-go32v2->i8086-dos crosscompiler)
>
> That work is in the development 3.1.x version though.

I'm basically giving up on my stupid MetaDOS (too tedious). Well, I will finish 0.2 very very soon and release it (once I add a few more direct links to FreeDOS "BASE" and "UTIL"). A month ago I asked for feedback (from a few select dudes) but got no testers. It was initially only pre-published (informally via DropBox) for QEMU-Windows dude to test/bugfix the (then-broken) networking code (which he did fix, thankfully).

I assume it's too kludgy or too minimal. Maybe it's not useful (enough?). Dunno. I also assume someone somewhere will eventually tell me it's too brittle or wastes too much bandwidth. Meh. I honestly don't know, but I still thought it was worth doing.

Anyways ... one of the "tests" I semi-frequently run there is downloading /v31/ ppcross8086.exe snapshot (from mirror). I was originally going to compile fpctris and samegame, but those aren't easy to test non-interactively. (But I kept their .EXEs in %BOOT%:\extras , so don't worry.) So, for lack of a better example, I just used my Befunge-93 interpreter (now more "TP" idiomatic, I hope) and homegrown test suite. Yes, it even works now without NASM, WLIB, or WLINK.

I know that isn't saying much, but there ya go.

Complete thread:

Back to the forum
Board view  Mix view
15112 Postings in 1359 Threads, 247 registered users, 18 users online (0 registered, 18 guests)
DOS ain't dead | Admin contact
RSS Feed