Back to home page

DOS ain't dead

Forum index page

Back to the forum
Board view  Mix view

Hammer of Thyrion 1.5.7 (Announce)

posted by Rugxulo(R) Homepage, Usono, 16.06.2016, 18:57

> This is the august-1997 version of the demo, yes?

13741595 2016-05-20 17:32 hexen2demo_aug1997-dos.zip

> It really _is_ harder.

I mean, in the demo, two or three spiders can kill you, from full health to zero, in less than five seconds. (The other character, I forget which [Crusader?], in the two-char demo, is apparently a bit stronger than Assassin.) Of course, maybe using hardest difficulty is asking for it, but the full game doesn't seem so aggressive. I suspect the enemies are just too powerful here.

> And no, I never touch the game logic (progs.dat) in that version of the
> demo at all.

There may be a few bugs. Video mode didn't change (actually, restore) properly, e.g. trying 320x240, unlike full game. Also, at one rare point it seemed to endlessly loop changing weapon. At another point it explicitly crashed (well, to game console), running into Skull Wizard, but I couldn't reproduce it (tried -devlog, never reappeared).

I did indeed just now beat the demo on hardest difficulty with Assassin, but it wasn't easy. I had long ago run out of mana and had no health potions, so I basically had to run past a lot of stuff. I know I had previously beaten the demo a billion times, but perhaps I didn't use hardest difficulty.

Or maybe it's something dumb like some TSRs or whatever in the background, screwing with the timer. But I tried a more "raw" setup the other day and didn't notice much difference.

I'll try some more later.

Complete thread:

Back to the forum
Board view  Mix view
15191 Postings in 1365 Threads, 250 registered users, 11 users online (0 registered, 11 guests)
DOS ain't dead | Admin contact
RSS Feed