Back to home page

DOS ain't dead

Forum index page

Back to the forum
Board view  Mix view

Not MPXplay bug but USB vs. CTmouse problem (Announce)

posted by bretjohn(R) Homepage E-mail, Rio Rancho, NM, 22.07.2016, 19:54
(edited by bretjohn on 22.07.2016, 20:07)

> I doubt that it is related to USB, as USB is actually completely off, but
> something bad between MPXPLAY and the BIOS.

Actually, I don't think this is a problem between MPXPLAY and the BIOS, it's probably just a problem with the BIOS. MPXPLAY shouldn't interact directly with the BIOS for the mouse at all -- it just interacts with CTMOUSE. CTMOUSE is what interacts with the BIOS.

The mouse BIOS is kind of weird, especially when dealing with mice that have extra buttons and wheels. The mouse driver (CTMOUSE) indirectly tells the BIOS (and the mouse hardware) how many bytes of data to send each time there is a mouse action (movement or button press/release). The BIOS can send either three or four bytes of data to the computer. If the mouse driver and the BIOS don't "agree" on how many bytes to send, everything gets unsynchronized and you get the weird stuff you described above.

Since you have the same problem with all kinds of different mouse drivers, it sounds like your BIOS is always sending four bytes instead of waiting for the mouse driver to tell it to send four bytes. The BIOS should only send three bytes unless the mouse has a wheel and the mouse driver tells it to send four bytes. Either that, or the mouse driver is telling the BIOS to send four bytes and is expecting to receive four bytes but the BIOS is still only sending three.

You can use my PS2MTEST program (part of the USB driver package) to do some simple troubleshooting of this and see if that is really the problem.

Complete thread:

Back to the forum
Board view  Mix view
15108 Postings in 1358 Threads, 246 registered users, 15 users online (1 registered, 14 guests)
DOS ain't dead | Admin contact
RSS Feed