Back to home page

DOS ain't dead

Forum index page

Back to the forum
Board view  Mix view

Interresting DOS forum in german (Announce)

posted by Rugxulo(R) Homepage, Usono, 11.09.2018, 01:08

Sorry for this off-topic rant, but I find it vaguely interesting!

The German language is supposedly harder (for a native [American] English speaker like me) to learn than others (see Language Difficulty Ranking here). So it's like an entire level above the more obvious choices. This is despite English being Germanic itself (but a lot has changed since Beowulf, the whole Norman French invasion and all). Supposedly J.R.R. Tolkien (a German name) was an expert in Old English. Of course let's not forget the Battenbergs/Mountbattens! The Swedes and Dutch are apparently fairly close, too (among others).

Apparently there was at least one very famous Czech (Austria/Bohemia?) immigrant to the U.S. who spoke German natively (among other languages). But that was a fairly long time ago, and I don't live near that part, so it's a bit obscure for me. Still intriguing!

Sorry, I just try to pretend to understand and connect the dots. It's a big world, it's a small world, whatever. I was never well-traveled, so my curiosity is a bit worthless.

Complete thread:

Back to the forum
Board view  Mix view
15443 Postings in 1400 Threads, 256 registered users, 8 users online (0 registered, 8 guests)
DOS ain't dead | Admin contact
RSS Feed