Back to home page

DOS ain't dead

Forum index page

Back to the forum
Board view  Mix view

Interresting DOS forum in german (Announce)

posted by Rugxulo(R) Homepage, Usono, 21.09.2018, 12:55

> > Bud Spencer and Terence Hill:
>
> They are indeed staple.
>
> These are like movie series that were rerun annually before cable, probably
> because the contracts between state broadcasters made it cheap.

I used to watch a lot of tv but don't too much anymore. But no, I never saw any of their stuff. Cable has gotten even more expensive in recent years, and the whole digital takeover somewhat annoyed everyone. That, plus faster internet and streaming, makes the landscape a much different place than before.

> The German dubbing is indeed sometimes funny. NL doesn't dub but subtitle
> except maybe a few things aimed at the very youngest (like Disney films).
>
> The joke is always that dubbing countries are illiterate, but in reality it
> is just the size of the language area. Dubbing is simply more expensive.

It's fairly common to subtitle foreign films. Heck, CC (closed captions) are quite common, too. Though I never had working SAP (second audio program), e.g. Spanish (which I don't grok anyways), hence my point that it's more popular elsewhere. Dubbing is somewhat rarer, e.g. old kung fu movies.

BTW, just for weirdo trivia, did you know there is a religious tv station called TBN? Actually, I never watch it, but they had a spinoff channel called TBN Salsa meant for (American) Hispanics who don't speak Spanish. I don't want to be rude, but I seriously don't see the point of having two English-speaking channels for the same subject. But someone somewhere thought it a good idea! Isn't that weird??

> Afaik in India there is a very large monoligual Hindi segment of the
> populace, and likewise in China with Mandarin.

I can directly name people who are exceptions to that, but of course that means little when the majority doesn't need to care. (BTW, Mandarin is spoken elsewhere too, e.g. Singapore.)

> Slang is maybe a bit bigger in English, but happens in other languages too.

Shakespeare had an enormous vocabulary. And I think this proves that English, as a whole, has many loanwords and influences. I may be wrong, but the dictionary can easily have over a million words (whereas a "normal" language only needs a fraction of that). Tons of synonyms, tons of archaic words, lots of bizarre slang (but I'm used to a lot of it ... except not British slang, which is even more bizarre).

> But a dialect (like mine, in the Limburg region) is nearly (wholly?) a
> separate language. There is a wikipedia division for it even.

Like Pascal (or Forth), there are (too) many variations.

Well, there are often debates about what constitutes a dialect or not. I read someone say Galician was practically a dialect of Portuguese, but who knows.

> > There are certainly many native Spanish speakers, but most of them are
> > in Texas, California, etc.
>
> Maybe a few in Miami too.:-D But point taken, it is no uniform
> distribution.

Right, Cuba, forgot about them.

> > You mean Luther's translation or others? Apparently he also had a big
> > influence on Sweden (et al).
>
> Luther on German, Staten Bible on Dutch, King James on English. Before
> there were hardly books in the vernacular, mostly just Latin and/or
> French.

Obviously you know that the Latin Vulgate was Catholic, but the Anglicans didn't want to keep communion with them, hence the schism, separate (incompatible) translation, etc. Similar problem with Luther.

Not entirely sure what the Dutch history is. Used to be a big Protestant stronghold but that seemingly evaporated in recent years (massive secularism but with strong Catholic minority). It's weird when reading about random people like Job Cohen (whom Wikipedia described as a "Jewish atheist").

Yeah, I don't want to pretend to get into politics or religious wars, just find it all odd.

> Which is why as first written (and widely read+distributed) work, they had
> enormous influence on the formation of standard languages.

Of course it was more about government control and different interpretations (to say the least).

> DVD/BD Movies sold here universally come with subtitling and or dub tracks
> for most major West European countries. TV stations are dubbed or
> subtitled.

Blu-Ray (and variants, XL? I never kept up personally) can hold a lot more space, so yes, I've definitely seen those have much much more regarding dubbing and subtitles than plain (smaller) DVDs. I mostly think the world has semi-standardized on Blu-Ray after all these years (remember PS3? early 2006 vs. XBox360 with optional, third-party HD-DVD), but last I checked, Dell didn't include it by default in any laptops, only optionally.

> > AFAIK, only their mother (Eugenia) was from Indonesia, and she died in
> > 2005. I've never seen much acknowledgement about her (or even the
> > father, Jan, who died in 1986).
>
> Yeah, but I assumed the parents met, married and lived there for a while.
> Seems to have been only quite short.

Here's an article that talks about the trip (with picture taken from the boat ride). I'd seen the picture before (Inside magazine).

Though I swear that trip was supposed to be (quasi) temporary, roughly ten years, something about reuniting or visiting distant cousins. Maybe I'm misunderstanding because I don't honestly know the details.

> That was already pretty Romanized (as in Vulgar Latin speaking,
> proto-French) by the end of the Roman empire and the move of Franks south
> in 450 and seized control. But demographics prohibited their language
> getting dominance, so that's why France speeks French, which is not a
> Frankish language.

(Western?) Rome ended in, what, 453? But the Byzantine decline (1453?) was the true end (IIRC). And I assume you're superficially aware of the Vulgate Bible (speaking of Vulgar Latin).

> > Of course, what little was left 900 years later, if any??
>
> Well, William the Conqueror was more 1066 so that is more like 200 years
> later, but afaik then they were already mostly frenchified.

I meant 1066 vs. 19th century Frenchwoman from Normandy. How much was left? I mean, I *really* don't want to be too glib or rude here, but look at France's recent world cup victory. Those Vikings sure are talented. :-P

Complete thread:

Back to the forum
Board view  Mix view
15877 Postings in 1466 Threads, 269 registered users, 90 users online (0 registered, 90 guests)
DOS ain't dead | Admin contact
RSS Feed