Back to home page

DOS ain't dead

Forum index page

Back to the forum
Board view  Mix view

Necromancer's Dos Navigator (Announce)

posted by KormaX(R), 26.09.2018, 17:55

Greetings, artist of programming and expert of DOS and creator of a real milestone of the modern history of DOS!

Your app (the 64 bit version of course) breaks through a new wall between DOS and the modern operating systems. I knew the possibility of 64 bit DOS programming, and even planned to develop something that way once. Then I found the so called DMMI of Michael Chourdakis and I started to REALLY plan to develop something that way once. But actually I just did not do anithying, and as far as I know, noone else did. Nor a new development, nor some client to DMMI. This day however, is a glorious day. (not actually this day, it is rather the day you published this project) Because YOU just published the first practical, working, 64 bit DOS program. Or at least the first one I know about. This is not a runtime or an API server, which is also a cool thing, but still waiting for a client program, THIS IS an application, and it works. Cool and grat! (However my plans are actually seriuos, even if I don't have much time for it so perhaps I would like to consult you in the future because if I really make my stuff, I would prefer if it could coexist with DPMI64 instead of crashing the system all the time both programs are loaded :D)

Just one more thing. You asked us to report bugs and other stuff. Well, I didn't find any bug, but I couldn't find a way to use DESCRIPT.ION with the short file names. I use LFN, but my descriptiond are joined to the 8+3 names, not the long ones. To see them in NDN I must turn off LFN support. Could it be possible to make it conditional in the future, for example with a chekbox for "READ DESCRIPTIONS FOR 8+3 NAMES" or something?

Well, thanks for your great program!

For the Honour of DOS!

---
DOS isn't about why. It's about why not.

Complete thread:

Back to the forum
Board view  Mix view
15673 Postings in 1427 Threads, 259 registered users, 7 users online (0 registered, 7 guests)
DOS ain't dead | Admin contact
RSS Feed