Back to home page

DOS ain't dead

Forum index page

Back to the forum
Board view  Mix view

Necromancer's Dos Navigator (Announce)

posted by RayeR(R) Homepage, CZ, 27.09.2018, 23:13
(edited by RayeR on 27.09.2018, 23:40)

Hi, nice to see NDN is not dead yet. Why it didn't appeared on http://ndn.muxe.com/download/ ? Is it some unofficial version or fork by another programmer?
Then I wonder what is DPMI64? I don't know that someone defined a 64-bit DPMI standard and provide such DPMI64 server. I only saw some 64-bit Hello world example for DOS many years ago. It's exciting that we have some real 64-bit app but let's think about if it will bring any advantage over 32bit? For a file manager I think absolutely not. Even on Windows I don't see advantage of most of 64 bit apps that don't crunch a really a lot of data like bitmap/audio/video editors, CAD, games, scientific programs. But why to have a 64bit notepad, calculator a a file manager? It just get more bloated because of larger data types and enforced alignment...
If NDN already have implemented a FTP client it shouldn't be hard to use wattcp or similar DOS networking library to bring this feature to DOS version too. I'm going to DL and test. I can try also on Win10-x64 that I got in new job (I use there an old 32bit win32 NDN that works OK, no other way as no NTVDM there)...

BTW the package FASM172.7Z on google drive is marked as virus-infected (probably a false positive detection)

---
DOS gives me freedom to unlimited HW access.

Complete thread:

Back to the forum
Board view  Mix view
15673 Postings in 1427 Threads, 259 registered users, 12 users online (0 registered, 12 guests)
DOS ain't dead | Admin contact
RSS Feed