Back to home page

DOS ain't dead

Forum index page

Back to the forum
Board view  Mix view

Necromancer's Dos Navigator (Announce)

posted by KormaX(R), 30.09.2018, 11:39

There are massive hardwares, eg. for the network adapter drivers, occupying huge parts of conventional memory. A 64 bit driver, however, executing on the second CPU, could only have a very thin interface in the conventional memory for communication with the OS or programs, but the massive part of it could be removed from the conventional memory. Same for USB. What fun a USB game-controller driver for DOS could be, but a hard time to code stuff like that for real-mode, and, when done, it's too massive. It would be great in 64 bit long mode on the 2'nd CPU however. I, personally, started to work on a replacement for UEFI-legacy mode for the motherboards lacking it (don't think it over, I just don't freekin' know, how to make it actually work, and don't even have time for it for months. But it is mainly based on DMMI, and it is tehoretically possible, I'm just not educated enough, to simply do it, nor rich enough to have enough free time).

---
DOS isn't about why. It's about why not.

Complete thread:

Back to the forum
Board view  Mix view
15673 Postings in 1427 Threads, 259 registered users, 5 users online (0 registered, 5 guests)
DOS ain't dead | Admin contact
RSS Feed