Back to home page

DOS ain't dead

Forum index page

Back to the forum
Board view  Mix view

more irrelevant trivia (Announce)

posted by Rugxulo(R) Homepage, Usono, 06.10.2018, 04:04

According to Wikipedia, today is German-American Day (never heard of it). If we do have a sizeable population of German immigrants or German descendants around here locally, I've never met them. (Maybe one lady, but I'm not sure.) I'm out of the loop, but I don't speak German anyways. "It's all Greek to me" (common saying). Of course, all Catholics were/are sympathetic to Pope (Emeritus) Benedict XVI.

There are some famous Americans who have/had such parents: Lou Gehrig (baseball), Charles Schulz (Peanuts), Bruce Willis (actor), Kirsten Dunst (actress), and I don't even remember who else (Michael Fassbender?). I'm sure there are many others I'm forgetting. Ah yes, Heidi Klum (AGT judge). Okay, I'm a bit confused here, but indeed some have dual citizenship.

Obviously many famous musicians, too: Accept, Scorpions, MSG, Doro Pesch, Lenny Wolf/Kingdom Come, who else? Beethoven, Handel. Meh, I'm more into hair metal than classical. (Robert "Mutt" Lange is South African, IIRC, but his mother was German.) I know I'm forgetting others.

Germany is huge, though, roughly five times the size of the Netherlands, right? But the U.S. is four times even that size. (Speaking of irrelevant ....) So it shouldn't be that obscure, but I guess it's truly far enough away (5000 mi or 8000 km).

Complete thread:

Back to the forum
Board view  Mix view
15877 Postings in 1466 Threads, 269 registered users, 82 users online (0 registered, 82 guests)
DOS ain't dead | Admin contact
RSS Feed