Back to home page

DOS ain't dead

Forum index page

Back to the forum
Board view  Mix view

more irrelevant trivia (Announce)

posted by Rugxulo(R) Homepage, Usono, 09.10.2018, 06:49

> The tradional story is that German immigrants mainly went to the midwest.

We still have many immigrants here but maybe not as many as in the old days. (I swear there was an Ehlert family at church, but I never spoke to them. It's a fairly big parish/school.)

> More recent NL immigration afaik mostly went to Michigan (there is a reason
> there is a place called "Holland" there) and dairy states in general.
> Though my guess would be after WWII more Dutchies went to Canada than to
> the US. And again mostly to get larger dairy farms, iow farmers.

Wasn't modern New York (state) partially founded by the Dutch? (Kirk Douglas was born in Amsterdam, NY ... although not Dutch but Belarusian descent ... though allegedly speaking Yiddish, which is Germanic!) Double-checking on Wikipedia, former President Martin Van Buren was born in New York and spoke Dutch originally. My aunt is a postal carrier locally, and she used to have some Dutch on her route, but I never met them. (They were elderly, so I don't know when or why they moved here. Not a lot of dairy farms in the big city, but I could be wrong!)

> > Okay, I'm a bit confused here, but indeed some have dual citizenship.
>
> Recent arrivals surely do. There are also some strange cases where people
> are American but grew up in Germany (because their parents were stationed
> on one of the huge American bases in Germany). Same with UK.

Right, the military "brats" get around a lot, often marry foreigners, have children born on military bases (U.S. soil) and are raised dually sometimes. It's fairly common (even if my own family isn't too militaristic).

> A major base is 20-30km south of my hometown (NATO base Geilenkirchen). In
> my parent's youth (60s, 70s), the American and English bases were very
> important, because they attracted artists to my hometown. (they had
> sponsored tours to the bases, and picked up some extra gigs in nearby
> towns).
>
> Some of them were major staging areas for troops enroute to Vietnam.

Back when the draft was mandatory, my uncle was stationed in Germany for a few scant years. Though I've never heard the details, never asked him (yet?), it obviously wasn't that important so many decades later. (Given enough decades and changes, is anything left? West vs. East Germany, obviously, that distinction is mostly irrelevant nowadays.)

I assume that was during the war in Vietnam (aka, French Indochina? lots of Catholics there, but speaking French there has fallen into disuse in recent generations, probably for obvious reasons). We did and still do have various Vietnamese Catholic immigrants, among others.

Even Angela Merkel is part Polish, so her maiden name was Germanized (sp?) from Kazmierczak to Kasner. Also her grandfather converted from Catholic to Lutheran (go figure).

> In my time that was mostly gone, though there were about 1000 British from
> some RAF base (I believe Wildenrath) though.

The late Andrew Sachs (Manuel from Faulty Towers) wasn't Spanish nor British but in fact German originally (probably dual citizen later). Famous for its quote, "Don't mention the war!" Years ago, PBS (tv) used to show a lot of Brit-coms here.

> > Germany is huge, though, roughly five times the size of the Netherlands,
> > right?
>
> Germany has only 4.5 times the population of NL though, it is relatively
> sparsely populated. :-D

Yes, I mainly meant population. 80 million people where a few dozen move to the U.S. isn't very shocking. It's not that far away, but far enough I suppose.

> If I look up for comparisons Germany is between Montana and New Mexico in
> size, but with twice the population of California (80m).

Never been to those states. The U.S. is geographically huge, and travel isn't that common (outside of obvious reasons: work, family, vacation). Too many regulations as well certainly make things less convenient.

Highly-populated states (like CA) tend to have quite an ego and believe they are superior to others based upon their size. Or maybe I'm just naive to be shocked at such hubris, but I guess it's the same old story. Probably just a few bad apples making the larger group look bad. There's no talking to some people, they want to push others around. I hate to be cynical and quasi-political, but some people never give it a rest! Very arrogant.

> NL is three quarters of New York state in surface (maybe closer to 80%
> since it has a slightly larger water surface area), but with 85% of the
> population. So comparable, but the NY state population is more unevenly
> distributed.

For lack of a better word (and I hate buzzwords), NY is very diverse and highly-populated as well. Then again, .nl (and .de and .se) all apparently have more than their share of immigrants. Hey, I like immigrants, I just don't like complete chaos. I don't blame immigrants for anything (how can I? they don't change/break anything, they have little power, same as me), but I swear America is its own religion nowadays, ugh. But even Europe isn't a "utopia", most likely, has its own problems (or worse in some ways), ugh.

> > But the U.S. is four times even that size. (Speaking of irrelevant
> > ....) So it shouldn't be that obscure, but I guess it's truly far enough
> > away (5000 mi or 8000 km).
>
> U.S/Ger = Twenty times larger, That makes US 237 times larger than NL(40K
> sqkm2) in surface with with only 19 times of the population. IOW your
> backyard is probably ten times mine :-P

Population only, land area doesn't matter. I moreso meant personal influence. Not to trivialize smaller countries, esp. since (like I said) the U.S. is very divided and not something I worship absolutely. "Your backyard" doesn't really apply to me, it's not mine, I don't own or control it. I don't even halfway like it (although it hates itself and everyone else, mostly, so that's hard to stomach, very toxic attitudes, and sadly I don't think EU is totally immune either).

> I don't know how the US figure is corrected for lakes and such though.
>
> U.S/EU area = +/- 2 (9.8M vs 4.5M sqkm) U.S/EU population = 0.65 (325M vs
> 500<), iow about 3 times denser. But that is going to change in a few
> months.

Why, because of Brexit? Clearly you have a different view than I do. I guess Europe is (mostly?) more chaotic than U.S.? So maybe you don't (or can't) care because you've (generally speaking) lived through so much. It's just weird to me how destructive the world is. Cheesy quote: "Some men just want to watch the world burn". (And no, I don't mean Trump. It's a cliche that he's to blame for everything. I'm too naive for such an evil world.)

Complete thread:

Back to the forum
Board view  Mix view
16015 Postings in 1483 Threads, 271 registered users, 7 users online (0 registered, 7 guests)
DOS ain't dead | Admin contact
RSS Feed