Back to home page

DOS ain't dead

Forum index page

Back to the forum
Board view  Mix view

Phil Gardner's Wrapper.sys & MS-DOS7 bug (Miscellaneous)

posted by Arjay(R), 12.12.2009, 12:25

> I just meant that obviously DOS isn't as popular as it once was, and
> obviously this guy has a heavy interest in Windows.
It's ok I kind of realized that and hope you realize that I wasn't having a direct go either at you either.

> I'm not blaming him, but yeah, I do still like and use DOS,
> so obviously I'm biased. :-D
No need to apologise. I'm traditionally a shell junkie also. But came back to DOS myself as I wanted some easy direct hardware access to assist someone with something for which they had extremely limited funds hence FreeDOS etc.
Now I'm back with DOS.... I'm thinking to stay around for a little while.

> I use Windows all the time, but it is definitely a bit weird in some
> areas.
heh, DOS/Linux aren't? :)

> In all fairness, I completely understand that DR-DOS isn't nearly as
> popular. However, it's very good,
Indeed that is often the case. Likewise with all the 4DOS, Norton Commander fan-boys that were around... ok still around. Great tools but not for many of us we actively avoided them. Indeed I went out of my way to learn techniques that meant I could deal with systems without any 3rd party stuff.

> It's basically the successor to CP/M-86.
Which in turn was based on Unix and in many ways we've come back round full circle ;) Yeah I'm very familiar with the history of DOS etc.

Anyway don't want to just chat here. Best to keep this on topic and all I can see is I'm reading this thread but probably won't comment further on it.

> Thankfully we have FreeDOS, else we'd really be suffering!!
Amen.

Complete thread:

Back to the forum
Board view  Mix view
15194 Postings in 1365 Threads, 250 registered users, 12 users online (0 registered, 12 guests)
DOS ain't dead | Admin contact
RSS Feed