Back to home page

DOS ain't dead

Forum index page

Back to the forum
Board view  Mix view

Recommendations for Porting a 16 bit DOS Application (DOSX)

posted by Jerry, 15.10.2007, 18:13

I?ve been reviewing the HX Dos extender information over the last week or so and I haven?t quite figured out whether this will work for me. My primary objective is take an existing DOS application, developed with MS Visual C 1.52, to make a 32 bit application. As is, it is a generic 16 bit DOS application that currently runs on DOS as well as in a DOS Box on Windows (full screen mode only). The application has a GUI running in VGA mode, a relational database engine and memory management developed using 16 bit based pointers with paging abilities. I would like to port as much of it as possible with minimum modifications. I?m thinking that I should be able to convert the memory management over to 32 bit based pointers but leave the general concepts in tack. The other thing of interest but which is secondary would be to be able to run at higher resolutions then the current VGA 16 color mode. I need to be able to run in a WinXP Dos Box or maybe as a Windows Console application provided I can create a single window that I would draw my GUI onto and intercept the keyboard and mouse messages.

I'm not clear as to which approach to take with the DOS extenders. My impression is that I should be able to run it in a DOS Box with the extender but I'm not sure whether the graphic extensions offered with VESA would be available.

What approach would you recommend? Your insights on this matter is greatly appreciated.

Complete thread:

Back to the forum
Board view  Mix view
15108 Postings in 1358 Threads, 245 registered users, 16 users online (0 registered, 16 guests)
DOS ain't dead | Admin contact
RSS Feed