Back to home page

DOS ain't dead

Forum index page

Log in | Register

Back to index page
Thread view  Board view
CluelessInSeattl(R)

Seattle, USA,
28.02.2013, 17:04
 

How to put COMMENTS in MS-DOS CONFIG.SYS? (Users)

I'm trying to debug a complicated COW (can-of-worms) consisting of multi-level nesting of batch files and text editor macros. This particular COW had been working fine for weeks until a few days ago when it just crashed mid-execution.

I suspect the problem may be coming from my AUTOEXEC.BAT file, because I noticed that its date-stamp is the same day that my COW stopped working. But in my old age, my memory is so poor these days that I have no recollection of having made any changes to AUTOEXEC.BAT.

But, I digress.

In the course of trying to isolate the bug that caused my COW to crash, I've been editing the AUTOEXEC.BAT file, and then rebooting. Each time I do this I have to wait while HIMEM.SYS runs a memory test.

I'd like to edit my CONFIG.SYS file so that it has two HIMEM.SYS lines and then REM one of them out, depending on whether or not I want the memory test at boot up. I'd also like to insert a comment explaining why I did it (Because with my poor memory I won't be able remember the next day why I put two HIMEM.SYS lines in my CONFIG.SYS file).

Checking around, I seem to have found that the comment marker for DOS 6.21 is the semi-colon [;]. Is that right?

But I also found something interesting in a Wikipedia article on CONFIG.SYS: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DCONFIG.SYS

"COMMENT (DOS 4.0 and higher and RxDOS, ignored under DR-DOS 7.02 and higher)
Redefines the lead-in character(s) for CONFIG.SYS inline-comments, or causes the following line to be ignored.
"

This suggests to me that there might be a way to substitute the colon [:] character for the semi-colon in my CONFIG.SYS file.

Is that right? If so, then I'd be grateful if someone could tell me how to accomplish that.

Is there any reason why I shouldn't try using the colon character as a comment marker in CONFIG.SYS files?

---
Will in Seattle
a.k.a. "Clueless"
Running MS-DOS 6.21

Rugxulo(R)

Homepage

Usono,
28.02.2013, 19:58

@ CluelessInSeattl
 

How to put COMMENTS in MS-DOS CONFIG.SYS?

> I'm trying to debug a complicated COW (can-of-worms) consisting of
> multi-level nesting of batch files and text editor macros.
>
> In the course of trying to isolate the bug that caused my COW to crash,
> I've been editing the AUTOEXEC.BAT file, and then rebooting. Each time I
> do this I have to wait while HIMEM.SYS runs a memory test.

You can disable that so it doesn't run at every boot, e.g. "/TESTMEM:OFF".

> I'd like to edit my CONFIG.SYS file so that it has two HIMEM.SYS lines and
> then REM one of them out, depending on whether or not I want the memory
> test at boot up.

I doubt you'd ever want it. It's unlikely to ever catch anything (IMHO). But if really desired, a menu with multiple options is better than manually editing comments (but more work, initially).

> Checking around, I seem to have found that the comment marker for DOS 6.21
> is the semi-colon [;]. Is that right?

Depends on what the shell supports. You're using MS-DOS 6.21's COMMAND.COM, right? I think all DOS clones and compatibles support "REM", not sure if others are universal or not (e.g. semicolon may work in DR-DOS, not sure about elsewhere).

A list of FreeDOS kernel CONFIG.SYS options is here, though it's probably not too useful for MS-DOS use, as they aren't 100% the same (some minor improvements, I think).

> This suggests to me that there might be a way to substitute the colon [:]
> character for the semi-colon in my CONFIG.SYS file.
>
> Is that right? If so, then I'd be grateful if someone could tell me how to
> accomplish that.
>
> Is there any reason why I shouldn't try using the colon character as a
> comment marker in CONFIG.SYS files?

No idea, sounds not worth the pain of worrying about it. Try and see if curious, but I'd just play it safe and use "REM", honestly. Or setup multi-boot menu. But really, I don't think you need the HIMEM memory test at bootup.

CluelessInSeattl(R)

Seattle, USA,
28.02.2013, 21:36

@ Rugxulo
 

How to put COMMENTS in MS-DOS CONFIG.SYS?

> Sounds not worth the pain of worrying about it. Try and see if
> curious, but I'd just play it safe and use "REM", honestly...
> at bootup.

Thanks, Rugxulo!

I'm getting too old to get caught up in spending my time on pointlessly complicating my system.

So I'll take your advice and just turn off the memory test.

Thanks again,

---
Will in Seattle
a.k.a. "Clueless"
Running MS-DOS 6.21

Back to index page
Thread view  Board view
15108 Postings in 1358 Threads, 246 registered users, 14 users online (0 registered, 14 guests)
DOS ain't dead | Admin contact
RSS Feed
powered by my little forum