Back to home page

DOS ain't dead

Forum index page

Log in | Register

Back to index page
Thread view  Board view
w3a537(R)

E-mail

Colorado Springs CO USA,
13.07.2014, 20:23
 

Building an MSDOS 8.00 USB stick (Developers)

I have a bootable MSDOS 8.00 floppy.

I would like to build a bootable USB stick
using the floppy as the source of the OS files,
ie the master.

I have tried numerous procedures I have found
via GOOGLE.

The latest was to use RUFUS which didn't work either.

How do I do this? Help would be greatly appreciated.

W3

Rugxulo(R)

Homepage

Usono,
13.07.2014, 22:16

@ w3a537
 

Building an MSDOS 8.00 USB stick

> I have a bootable MSDOS 8.00 floppy.
>
> I would like to build a bootable USB stick
> using the floppy as the source of the OS files,
> ie the master.

The simple truth is that even though DOS fits on a floppy, it is considered too minimal for most people. And modern OSes haven't fit on floppies in ages. They need literally gigs of space. Plus, floppies are considered unreliable (although flash drives aren't totally robust against failure either). Some (most?) manufacturers don't even make floppies anymore. They literally stopped a few years ago. Most computers don't even come with floppy drives anymore. Sure, it's ten bazillion times easier to support a floppy driver in an OS than USB stack, but nobody cares. "Just use $billion-dollar-OS."

I'm sympathetic, but it's a losing battle. Modern has different definitions of "small", "useful", "compatible", etc.

> I have tried numerous procedures I have found
> via GOOGLE.
>
> The latest was to use RUFUS which didn't work either.

RUFUS didn't work at all? It didn't install? It doesn't function? Because once you have (presumably minimal) RUFUS files working, then just copy over your own files, twiddle the config + autoexec files, etc.

> How do I do this? Help would be greatly appreciated.

If RUFUS won't boot for you, file a bug report. The advantage to RUFUS over most others (besides free/libre license) is that it saves persistent changes.

Others, like UNetBootIn, can boot FreeDOS as well, but it won't save your changes explicitly, so you'll have to do that manually upon each use (to an available, writable partition).

I've not tried a lot of others, so I don't know what else exists. Normally I just use RUFUS (on my laptop) occasionally.

w3a537(R)

E-mail

Colorado Springs CO USA,
13.07.2014, 22:36

@ Rugxulo
 

Building an MSDOS 8.00 USB stick

It's my maintenance system. If the Windows partitions crash then
I will run IMAGE FOR DOS and restore my backups.

I use DOS for what DOS is good at. Otherwise I use Windows. The OS
I use for system maintenance should be minimalistic.

Rufus installs just fine, but what I meant to say is that it doesn't
produce a bootable USB stick. Neither does HPFLASH1.

We are on one of the best DOS forums around. Please stop running DOS down.

And I am still looking foe help to get this done.

W3

Rugxulo(R)

Homepage

Usono,
13.07.2014, 23:09

@ w3a537
 

Building an MSDOS 8.00 USB stick

> It's my maintenance system. If the Windows partitions crash then
> I will run IMAGE FOR DOS and restore my backups.
>
> I use DOS for what DOS is good at. Otherwise I use Windows. The OS
> I use for system maintenance should be minimalistic.

The point is that "modern" doesn't need to be minimalistic, there are USB drives of 32 GB or greater these days. That's plenty for all Linux known distributions. They don't care because they don't need to care.

> Rufus installs just fine, but what I meant to say is that it doesn't
> produce a bootable USB stick. Neither does HPFLASH1.

Check your BIOS to make sure of boot order. Also, have you ever successfully booted USB before? Maybe your computer doesn't support it (e.g. my old P4, where I had to use PLoP Boot Manager via floppy).

> We are on one of the best DOS forums around. Please stop running DOS down.

You misunderstood. I'm the last to knock DOS for what it does or even what it doesn't do. But nobody cares. The modern world doesn't care one drop. By far. But they also don't know anything, and they are biased and useless. So I don't care what they think.

> And I am still looking foe help to get this done.

Try a different USB stick or even try booting on a different computer. Some USB sticks (and BIOSes) need an MBR, some don't. It's not always obvious. This stuff still has kinks. Also, try UNetBootIn. And do file a bug report for RUFUS if all of the above fails.

w3a537(R)

E-mail

Colorado Springs CO USA,
13.07.2014, 22:17

@ w3a537
 

Building an MSDOS 8.00 USB stick

I tried a procedure from online using HPFLASH1.
It has all the correct prompts.
I tried both FAT32 and FAT16.
Both created a USB stick with IO.SYS and COMMAND.COM.
Neither will boot. They both clear the screen and then stop.

I need help.

W3

w3a537(R)

E-mail

Colorado Springs CO USA,
13.07.2014, 23:18

@ w3a537
 

Building an MSDOS 8.00 USB stick

Now that the topic of HUGE operating systems has been opened,
check MENUET out. It needs more apps for sure, but is very tiny
and really fast. I have it on a stick and it works really well
on my PC.

This is .NOT. DOS of course but the topic has been raised.
Though I don't intend to continue discussing MENUET.

http://www.menuetos.net/docs.htm
http://www.menuetos.org/applics.html
http://www.menuetos.net/screens.htm
http://www.menuetos.net/64bit.htm
http://menuet.fr.yuku.com/forums/11/64bit-MenuetOS/64bit-MenuetOS#.U8L0LsXnafA

W3

Laaca(R)

Homepage

Czech republic,
14.07.2014, 11:30
(edited by Laaca, 14.07.2014, 11:48)

@ w3a537
 

Building an MSDOS 8.00 USB stick

At first make sure that your PC can boot from USB. Even quite modern computers can't (like my HP Pavilion dv6).

Than more analysis of your USB stick has to be done. Even if they are properly formated to FAT16 or FAT32 they sometimes don't have normal partition table and MBR record.
Try to install new MBR code - like FDISK /MBR (if you have INT13h interface for your USB stick) or use some more modern partition managment tool.

Maybe you could try the utility USBformat http://www.hiren.info/downloads/freeware-tools/usb-disk-storage-format-tool

Or another option is RMPrepUSB http://www.rmprepusb.com/home

---
DOS-u-akbar!

w3a537(R)

E-mail

Colorado Springs CO USA,
14.07.2014, 17:38

@ Laaca
 

Building an MSDOS 8.00 USB stick

> At first make sure that your PC can boot from USB. Even quite modern
> computers can't (like my HP Pavilion dv6).
>

IT can, I have built other USB sticks with LINUX DISTROS using
other procedures and ahese boot fine.

> Than more analysis of your USB stick has to be done. Even if they are
> properly formated to FAT16 or FAT32 they sometimes don't have normal
> partition table and MBR record.
> Try to install new MBR code - like FDISK /MBR (if you have INT13h interface
> for your USB stick) or use some more modern partition managment tool.
>
> Maybe you could try the utility USBformat
> http://www.hiren.info/downloads/freeware-tools/usb-disk-storage-format-tool
>
> Or another option is RMPrepUSB http://www.rmprepusb.com/home

I will try these and report back

Thank you very much.

W3

w3a537(R)

E-mail

Colorado Springs CO USA,
14.07.2014, 18:54

@ w3a537
 

Building an MSDOS 8.00 USB stick

SUCCESS !!!

Before trying your suggestions I built another USB stick
with a unit from a different manufacturer using HPFLASH1
again and this one BOOTS JUST FINE.

Thank you and everyone.

SB

glennmcc(R)

Homepage E-mail

North Jackson, Ohio (USA),
15.07.2014, 02:21
(edited by glennmcc, 15.07.2014, 02:34)

@ w3a537
 

Building an MSDOS 8.00 USB stick

> I have a bootable MSDOS 8.00 floppy.
>
> I would like to build a bootable USB stick
> using the floppy as the source of the OS files,
> ie the master.
>
> I have tried numerous procedures I have found
> via GOOGLE.
>
> The latest was to use RUFUS which didn't work either.
>
> How do I do this? Help would be greatly appreciated.
>
> W3

I can't speak to MSDOS 'cus I quit using _everything_ MS many, many years ago.

Here's how I made bootable 1GB USB flash drive in OpenDos v7.01

1) Boot to OpenDos v7.01
2) load the USB_DOS drivers that work on my machine with my USB flash drive
3) format.com /s drive_letter of USB flash drive
4) copy all aditional files that I want on the flash drive.

Done.

Basically... no different than making a diskette bootable.

___

After-thought: The key of-course is finding the correct USB drivers
that work with your computer and your USB flash drive.

---
--
http://glennmcc.org/

w3a537(R)

E-mail

Colorado Springs CO USA,
15.07.2014, 04:42

@ glennmcc
 

Building an MSDOS 8.00 USB stick

> I can't speak to MSDOS I quit using _everything_ MS many, many years ago.
>
> Here's how I made bootable 1GB USB flash drive in OpenDos v7.01
>
> 1) Boot to OpenDos v7.01
> 2) load USB_DOS drivers that work on my machine with my USB flash drive

Somehow I stumbled upon a set of USB_DOS drivers that seem to work on every
PC I test them on. I build and sell PCS (new ones) but I have 5 old PCs
here from different MFRs both Intel and AMD and my current DOS master disk boots and mounts as many USB sticks as I plug in and on all my PCS both
OLD and NEW.

> 3) format.com /s drive_letter of USB flash drive

I use the equivalent format and sys.

4) copy all aditional files that I want on the flash drive.

Same here.

I can test this on another USB and see what happens.

>
> Done.
>
> Basically... no different than making a diskette bootable.
>
> ___
>
> After-thought: The key of-course is finding the correct USB drivers
> that work with your computer and your USB flash drive.

See above.

W3 and thank you.

Back to index page
Thread view  Board view
15192 Postings in 1365 Threads, 250 registered users, 8 users online (0 registered, 8 guests)
DOS ain't dead | Admin contact
RSS Feed
powered by my little forum