Forum index page

Back to index page
Thread view  Board view
RayeR(R)

Homepage

CZ,
15.06.2015, 04:47

Quake 2 port for DOS! (Announce)

A few days ago on DJGPP group Neozeed announced result of his hardwork on porting Quake 2 to DOS/DJGPP. It's still in aplha stage but it's quite usable and stable. I was playing a single player about 1/2h and didn't get crash like sometimes with HXDOS.
What works:
* gfx, kbd, mouse
* networking (wattcp)
* oldsound (taken from qdos)
* bonus-OGG music format support
What doesnt's work:
* video menu dialog - cause crash - is it possible to change videomode via cmdline or other way?
* new soundcard are not supported :( (of course I mentioned about WSS that's used e.g. in mplayer dos port and plays on HDA well)
I plan to load in on my old machine PPro200/192M/AWE64 how fast it would be. I remember that I played Q2 on P166@200 but with 3Dfx Voodoo1...
The story: pt1, pt2, pt3, download binary

---
DOS gives me freedom to unlimited HW access.

Laaca(R)

Homepage

Czech republic,
17.06.2015, 20:04

@ RayeR

Quake 2 port for DOS!

Cool!
Right now I am downloading the original game and then I replace original EXE to this new DOS-ish!

It is worth to mention that extended Quake1/QuakeWorld port for DOS by Maraakate has a new version http://dk.toastednet.org/QDOS/

And of course we can also play the Hammer of thyrion
(I quess it is quake1 based not quake2, am I right?)

---
DOS-u-akbar!

Rugxulo(R)

Homepage

Usono,
17.06.2015, 20:21

@ Laaca

Quake 2 port for DOS!

> And of course we can also play the Hammer of thyrion
> (I quess it is quake1 based not quake2, am I right?)

Hammer of Thyrion is Hexen 2, which was Quake-based (although Windows only, not DOS, so that support had to be backported from Quake itself).

The original DOS versions of Heretic and Hexen used the Doom engine. The later Heretic 2 was Windows-based and Quake2-based.

* Heretic (released 23-Dec-1994)
* Hexen (released 30-Oct-1995)
* Hexen 2 (released 31-Aug-1997)
* Heretic 2 (released 31-Oct-1998)

RayeR(R)

Homepage

CZ,
18.06.2015, 00:22

@ Laaca

Quake 2 port for DOS!

> It is worth to mention that extended Quake1/QuakeWorld port for DOS by
> Maraakate has a new version http://dk.toastednet.org/QDOS/

Yes those guys are the same "group" and Maraakate helped with Q2 DOS port. Sound engine was taken from QDOS, network is via WATTCP and OGG via libvorbis. We discussed integrating WSS but unfortunatelly Neozeed told that it crashed on his machine :( As a latest news I heard they're moving to OpenWatcom because it supports DLL via Causeway extender (I has sometimes crashes of it so I'm a bit skeptic), I don't know if DXE3 supports unloading of modules that is crucial for them, I just asked on DJGPP group. I never personally used DXE modules.

---

Laaca(R)

Homepage

Czech republic,
18.06.2015, 07:29

@ RayeR

Quake 2 port for DOS!

There is person who definitely should know if and how the DXE files can be unloaded. It is the author od PythonD. It is heavily based on DXE files
http://www.caddit.net/pythond/

---
DOS-u-akbar!

RayeR(R)

Homepage

CZ,
18.06.2015, 11:15

@ Laaca

Quake 2 port for DOS!

> There is person who definitely should know if and how the DXE files can be
> unloaded. It is the author od PythonD. It is heavily based on DXE files
> http://www.caddit.net/pythond/

Is there some contact? BTW I can see it's 7 years old...

---

Rugxulo(R)

Homepage

Usono,
18.06.2015, 21:53

@ RayeR

Quake 2 port for DOS!

> ... but I don?t have installed slang library to do so and cannot find
> the prebuilt, sh configure from sourcers fail as usually? :\

BTW, a billion comments on his blog is probably not the best place to further the conversation. ;-)

Anyways, what exactly is Slang library needed for?? Watt-32?????

I haven't rebuilt Watt-32 lately. Again, I'm not sure why he is either. I would personally just use the prebuilt one on /beta/v2tk/ (e.g. wat3222br3.zip from 21-Dec-2013) unless there was a VERY good reason. I honestly am not aware of any upstream changes on Gisle Vanem's website, but I could certainly be wrong. (I had thought he said he was only updating Win32/Win64 these days. No??)

I did write an old .BAT to rebuild JED with DJGPP a few years ago, and it uses Slang. (No, I didn't need Watt-32.) Maybe that helps??

RayeR(R)

Homepage

CZ,
19.06.2015, 14:35

@ Rugxulo

Quake 2 port for DOS!

Unfortunatelly there are some compatability issues between djdev 2.05 and (even latest) wattcp :( I used one precompiled from beta repo and also rebuild myself. It rebuilds OK but don't work fully with Quake 2. I have no clue what's going wrong, I spent a lot hours with this crap tonight...
Quake2 can get serverlist but don't connect due to some IOCTL error:
http://rayer.g6.cz/1tmp/quake2tcp.png
See my posts at Neozeed blog pt3...
He claims that with djdev 2.03 it works fine, I can confirm that his binary from 15.6. connects to server OK. I got so tired about it now... :-|

---

RayeR(R)

Homepage

CZ,
20.06.2015, 17:34
(edited by RayeR, 21.06.2015, 01:38)

@ RayeR

Quake 2 port for DOS!

Finally with help of Ozkan Sezer we found the problem why it failed with djdev 2.05 and it's now fixed (replaced ioctl() by ioctlsocket()) so now it's the main tree and compiles with djgpp 2.05 ok.

UPDATE: here's my binary compiled with djdev 2.05 and enabled higher VESA modes - tested 1600x1200 on my C2D makes 103FPS. I also tested on PPro 200 and got 7FPS in 1024x768 (windows version made only 5,9FPS)

---

RayeR(R)

Homepage

CZ,
24.06.2015, 04:26

@ RayeR

Quake 2 port for DOS, now with HDA sound!

Cool, they managed to adopt Mpxplay drivers with some modification to DJGPP and made the dream come true - Q2DOS sound on modern sound cards. It also open the way to backport this drivers to QDOS and HEXEN II games.
I tested on my SB Audigy 2 and it plays fine @22k, with some glitches @44k. Don't forget to run Q2.EXE with -hda option. More discussion at
https://bitbucket.org/neozeed/q2dos/issue/1/upgrading-to-djgpp-205

---

Zyzzle(R)

26.06.2015, 03:45

@ RayeR

> Cool, they managed to adopt Mpxplay drivers with some modification to DJGPP
> and made the dream come true - Q2DOS sound on modern sound cards. It also
> open the way to backport this drivers to QDOS and HEXEN II games.
> I tested on my SB Audigy 2 and it plays fine @22k, with some glitches @44k.
> Don't forget to run Q2.EXE with -hda option. More discussion at
> https://bitbucket.org/neozeed/q2dos/issue/1/upgrading-to-djgpp-205

Very cool! Does your above patch with the higher VESA modes also support the mpxplay sound drivers? If it doesn't, are you able to post a compiled binary (with the necessary DJGPP modifications) of Q2.EXE which does include that support?

If this can be backported to Quake DOS and / or Hexen 2, that will make it even more wonderful.

neozeed(R)

27.06.2015, 03:10

@ Zyzzle

> > Cool, they managed to adopt Mpxplay drivers with some modification to
> DJGPP
> > and made the dream come true - Q2DOS sound on modern sound cards. It
> also
> > open the way to backport this drivers to QDOS and HEXEN II games.
> > I tested on my SB Audigy 2 and it plays fine @22k, with some glitches
> @44k.
> > Don't forget to run Q2.EXE with -hda option. More discussion at
> > https://bitbucket.org/neozeed/q2dos/issue/1/upgrading-to-djgpp-205
>
> Very cool! Does your above patch with the higher VESA modes also support
> the mpxplay sound drivers? If it doesn't, are you able to post a compiled
> binary (with the necessary DJGPP modifications) of Q2.EXE which does
> include that support?
>
> If this can be backported to Quake DOS and / or Hexen 2, that will make it
> even more wonderful.

Even better, we got DXE3's working so you can jump between games, load and unload modules etc.

http://virtuallyfun.superglobalmegacorp.com/2015/06/26/porting-quake-ii-to-ms-dos-pt4/

It's really cool, if I do say so myself.

RayeR(R)

Homepage

CZ,
29.06.2015, 18:11

@ neozeed

> Even better, we got DXE3's working so you can jump between games, load and
> unload modules etc.
>
> http://virtuallyfun.superglobalmegacorp.com/2015/06/26/porting-quake-ii-to-ms-dos-pt4/
>
> It's really cool, if I do say so myself.

Well, so the answer if DXE3 can be unloaded and is it actually function is YES... (no need to mess with other semiDLL systems)

---

RayeR(R)

Homepage

CZ,
29.06.2015, 19:30

@ RayeR

BTW here's Ruslan sound library for DJGPP & Watcom based on MPXplay drivers:
http://sound-dos.ucoz.ru/load/
Also Zdoom and Quake1 updated engines are there :hungry:
Hope this would help other DOS sound coders.

---

Rugxulo(R)

Homepage

Usono,
30.06.2015, 03:32

@ RayeR

> Also Zdoom and Quake1 updated engines are there :hungry:
> Hope this would help other DOS sound coders.

His builds of Zdoom are extremely buggy! The "WATCOM\ZDOOM.EXE" (PMODE/W) one does work on this Lenovo's HDA card, but some naive things cause hard crashes (e.g. Tab key to bring up map). It's not stable by any means, but it's very impressive that sound can actually work in DOS on modern hardware.

P.S. Unrelated, one guy (Mateusz) did recently mention issues with (old, 1995) Ultimate Doom on the freedos-user mailing list. I don't have that version, but shareware 1.9 is still available (which is what I'm using with ZDoom, perhaps that's the problem??). Anyways, on original 1.9 shareware (with old DOS4G Professional 1.95 built-in), PC speaker actually works better than average (at least better than nothing, better than just one single buzz, thus a variety of sounds, even if no direct digital .WAV sfx). BTW, I'm no diehard mouse user, but I'm also impressed that mouse support is so well thought out and actually useful. But that's just a (greatly) delayed opinion on my part. :-P

RayeR(R)

Homepage

CZ,
30.06.2015, 16:34

@ Rugxulo

Yeah, I must admit there are some issues. E.g. watcom/pmodew crashes on my machine. But I observe it's not uncommon that pmodew doesn't like with jemmex (at most on my PC)... DJGPP version of Zdoom was quite playable, I didn't need map in first episode :) It played nice on my SB Audigy 2 in 1024x768 with mouse enhancements.
But I have trouble with Ruslan's Quakedos. I recompiled it with -O1 as he has in makefile with gcc 4.8.4 and it crashes when you select New game. So I relaxed to -O0 and it plays then but crashes at exit to DOS. And even, it messed my FAT16 FS! Some crashes cause only temporal mess up e.g. when you tyope dir you got total garbage but after hardreset it booted and FS seemed to be OK. But then I got heavy mess up of entire 2GB C: partition (game was ran from different one I:\QUAKE) and I have to restore backup because directory structure was gone. After some time I got an idea what could happened - I use UIDE with it's large cache. I suspect that program crashed so hard to hit the cache area. If it use __djgpp_nearptr_enable() it can be very evil because it makes protected mode unprotected. So when I do hard reset, the cache couldn't flush to disk and FS leaves untouched by angel of death but when I do crtl+alt+del it probably write corrupted data to HDD.
Binary provided by Ruslan seems not tend to crash, probably he used some old gcc. Anyway its not excuse for abusing __djgpp_nearptr_enable() that's potentially dangerous...

---

Rugxulo(R)

Homepage

Usono,
30.06.2015, 20:48

@ RayeR

> Yeah, I must admit there are some issues. E.g. watcom/pmodew crashes on my
> machine.

He actually just (coincidentally?) uploaded a new Watcom compile yesterday, and now Tab key (map) works.

> But I observe it's not uncommon that pmodew doesn't like with
> jemmex (at most on my PC)...

I don't normally use JEMMEX, only XMGR or HIMEMX.

There are many extenders, but only some of them work some of the time. :-|

> DJGPP version of Zdoom was quite playable,

That .EXE didn't work at all for me, wouldn't even start.

> I didn't need map in first episode :)

Me either except in rare cases. Sometimes you get tired of running in circles. ;-)

Hexen2 is worse about that (though expansion pack allegedly fixed that, yet which I don't have), no map at all. Lots of backtracking and minimal but confusingly arcane clues.

> It played nice on my SB Audigy 2 in 1024x768 with mouse enhancements.

I also tried under my old P4 (EMU10k1) but no sound. But Mpxplay doesn't work there either, so I dunno, it's probably too old for devs to care about anymore. HDA seems the preferred mainstream target these days (although it didn't work on my laptop either, yet main desktop is fine). Yeah, drivers are a mess.

> But I have trouble with Ruslan's Quakedos. I recompiled it with -O1 as he
> has in makefile with gcc 4.8.4 and it crashes when you select New game. So
> I relaxed to -O0 and it plays then but crashes at exit to DOS. And even, it
> messed my FAT16 FS! Some crashes cause only temporal mess up e.g. when you
> tyope dir you got total garbage but after hardreset it booted and FS seemed
> to be OK. But then I got heavy mess up of entire 2GB C: partition (game was
> ran from different one I:\QUAKE) and I have to restore backup because
> directory structure was gone. After some time I got an idea what could
> happened - I use UIDE with it's large cache. I suspect that program crashed
> so hard to hit the cache area. If it use __djgpp_nearptr_enable() it can be
> very evil because it makes protected mode unprotected. So when I do hard
> reset, the cache couldn't flush to disk and FS leaves untouched by angel of
> death but when I do crtl+alt+del it probably write corrupted data to HDD.
> Binary provided by Ruslan seems not tend to crash, probably he used some
> old gcc. Anyway its not excuse for abusing __djgpp_nearptr_enable() that's
> potentially dangerous...

Yikes. Well, it's not THAT surprising. I think we take stability for granted and just assume everything always works (probably a bad idea). :-(

Well, low-level system stuff is very confusing and complicated, even under the best of circumstances. You know, I've even had Linux hang and crash on me (and Android much moreso). Nothing is immune to bugs. Sorry for your pain, though, but what "backup" do you use? I'd just copy it to a bootable USB jump drive, personally.

RayeR(R)

Homepage

CZ,
01.07.2015, 14:17

@ Rugxulo

> He actually just (coincidentally?) uploaded a new Watcom compile yesterday, and now Tab key (map) works.

I don't like pmode/w, it seems to always crash in v86 mode (emm/jemm). Maybe it could be stripped and subbed with something more friendly than this: http://rayer.g6.cz/1tmp/pmodewcrsh.png
In my case the map key didn't crash it, in WC version map didn't rendered properly but in DJGPP version did. Seems he updated only WC version, I'll try it.

DJGPP version in my case sometimes doesn't start too due instant corruption when UIDE was loaded but in other cases it run well, see below.

> I also tried under my old P4 (EMU10k1) but no sound. But Mpxplay doesn't work there either...

Did you have loaded the SB emulation drivers? In my case it doesn't work with them. The MPX drivers can handle SBL/SBA on it's own so I don't load any sound drivers (is doesn't work on new MBs anyway) and MPX, QuickView, QDOS... detects it and plays well. I know HDA is main stream but I think that dedicated SBA can offer more quality sound than any integrated crap so I prefer it. I didn't tested on my NTB yet...

Yesterday I more investigated the FS corruption by zdoom+UIDE, here's some observations:

* It doesn't depend on what XMM is used, it happens bot with himem and jemmex

* when UIDE is loaded (I use 256MB cache and with shuscdx for CD+DVD drives) and I run zdoom I got instant FS corruption everytime! - it's 100% reproducable. It may happen that zdoom even doesn't start or it happen when it's terminated. Then I type dir and got this:
http://rayer.g6.cz/1tmp/fscorruption.png
If I apply hardreset the corruption on C: drive is not permanent (zdoom create cwsdpmi.swp file on C:) but drive I: where the game is placed usually gets corrupted even with hardreset.

* when I disable UIDE and enable lbacache instead I doesn't see any problem. Even lba cache is faster for compilation (gcc make of qdos):

no udma, no cache:              6:54.91
udma, 256MB cache:              1:02.34
no udma, 8MB smartdrv WB:       0:28.73
no udma, 32MB lbacache TUNW:    0:27.74
udma, 256MB+32MB lbacache TUNW: 0:25.54

* when I enable UIDE together with lba cache the probability and severity of FS corruption is significantly less. Sometimes doesn't happen, sometimes I got few lost clusters but game was mostly playable. It's interesting how lbacache can affect this behavior because it's used more memory for caching - 32+256 that should logically increase probability that a random write from zdoom will hit it. Maybe it's because lbacache holds the data in its 32MB buffed and don't pass it to UIDE so often but what does lbacache differently than UIDE on XMS allocation? Unfortunatelly lbacache doesn't allow bigger buffer to have comparable size. I could try decrease UIDE cache size instead but even if it only decrease the probability of corruption it's still dangerous...

BTW Neozeed noticed on this: "I stopped using UIDE because it was corrupting write behind cacheing in some games (Quake 2 was one of them)"
I don't remember that any other program cause such problem with UIDE which I use for many years...

---

RayeR(R)

Homepage

CZ,
01.07.2015, 19:04
(edited by RayeR, 01.07.2015, 22:23)

@ RayeR

BTW I tried to unpmwlite, unstub and then restub new zdoom/wc with D3X extender but it still crashes in v86 mode. Under himem it works, map too.
UPDATE: on my home PC the d3x restubbed version works! If anyone needed get it here http://rayer.g6.cz/hry/doom2/zdoomdos.zip
And I can confirm that sound works also on Realtek ALC888 HDA :)

---

Rugxulo(R)

Homepage

Usono,
01.07.2015, 20:06

@ RayeR

> I don't like pmode/w, it seems to always crash in v86 mode (emm/jemm).
> Maybe it could be stripped and subbed with something more friendly

So either MS EMM386 or JEMM386 misbehave? (Normally I don't load EMS these days unless needed, only pure XMS.) Probably just assumes ring 0, i.e. privileged stuff, somewhere.

(BTW, dare I mention, but the ancient shareware DOOM.EXE 1.9 using built-in DOS4G Professional 1.95 from 1993 works perfectly fine, no problems, except for hanging upon exit, unless booting raw or using DOS32A.EXE instead, since it chokes on too much RAM. Even optionally loading CWSDPMI r7 chokes it with too much free DPMI reported.)

I agree that PMODE/W isn't the most robust extender, but at least it mostly works. Presumably he also built with DJGPP as a good alternative for further testing.

> DJGPP version in my case sometimes doesn't start too due instant corruption
> when UIDE was loaded but in other cases it run well, see below.
>
> * when I disable UIDE and enable lbacache instead I doesn't see any
> problem. Even lba cache is faster for compilation (gcc make of qdos):

Years ago, I discovered that RAM disk (with compiler installed there, plus %TMPDIR% pointing there) plus cache loaded were faster than even DOSEMU atop Linux. Of course LFN drivers slow things down a lot, too.

> BTW Neozeed noticed on this: "I stopped using UIDE because it was
> corrupting write behind cacheing in some games (Quake 2 was one of
> them)"

> I don't remember that any other program cause such problem with UIDE which
> I use for many years...

Well, Laaca recently said that he had (more) troubles with Borland RTM/DPMI16. His alleged solution was mentioned here, but I also found an old workaround similarly mentioned by Japheth back in 2011.

RayeR(R)

Homepage

CZ,
01.07.2015, 22:27
(edited by RayeR, 01.07.2015, 23:10)

@ Rugxulo

> So either MS EMM386 or JEMM386 misbehave?

I just found than on my home PC the D3X restubbed WC version run fine with JEMMEX and don't corrupt FS. I uploaded it here http://rayer.g6.cz/hry/doom2/zdoomdos.zip

Another interesting observation is that when I use XIDE /P and DJGPP Zdoom version the FS corruption doesn't happen. It depends on the /P switch! Also /R15 and /R63 have this positive effect. Probably because cache is located on different address where the killing zdoom doesn't shot.
I still belive that it's broken in Zdoom not UIDE/XIDE and this is just a workaround that may not work for everyone so I would rather reccomend the WC version.

---

Rugxulo(R)

Homepage

Usono,
05.07.2015, 23:26

@ RayeR

> > I also tried under my old P4 (EMU10k1) but no sound. But Mpxplay doesn't
> work there either...

BTW, Mpxplay doesn't work for Laaca's "Sound blaster Live! value [CT4830]" either.

> Did you have loaded the SB emulation drivers?

No, and I'm not even aware of any (good) public links to such old drivers. The few that can still be easily found are often Win32 PE installer .EXEs, which aren't exactly DOS-friendly.

> In my case it doesn't work with them. The MPX drivers can handle
> SBL/SBA on it's own so I don't load any sound drivers

Mpxplay doesn't work (by default) on such a machine.

> (is doesn't work on new MBs anyway) and MPX, QuickView, QDOS...
> detects it and plays well.

QuickView and an old freeware Live! module player (LMP09.ZIP) both independently work. Once they have "enabled" whatever, then and only then will Mpxplay work on such a machine (but not after cold reboot).

So, I did try again (on my old P4, the one with SB Live! EMU10k1) with ZDoom + Doom 1.9 shareware. I couldn't hear any sound, so I ran LMP on some .MOD files (successfully). I was hoping that would help. But it was so quiet that I assumed that even that didn't work. Though when I later turned up the speakers all the way, then I could somewhat hear Doom sfx (semi-quietly). So I don't know if it worked without help or not, but if it's just using Mpxplay's drivers, then I doubt it. But it was quiet enough to not be obvious, even after my weak attempt to (indirectly) initialize it.

Laaca(R)

Homepage

Czech republic,
06.07.2015, 13:01

@ Rugxulo

> BTW, Mpxplay doesn't work for Laaca's "Sound blaster Live! value [CT4830]"
> either.

??? WTF ???
I am Laaca, I have SB Live! and I am sure that I can hear very clear sound with Mpxplay.
The only problem I described on Sourceforge board of mpxplay and the problem is not that the soundcard does not work but that it turns on only the left speaker. I however also described the workaround how to setup both speakers.

>
> So, I did try again (on my old P4, the one with SB Live! EMU10k1) with
> ZDoom + Doom 1.9 shareware. I couldn't hear any sound, so I ran LMP on some
> .MOD files (successfully). I was hoping that would help. But it was so
> quiet that I assumed that even that didn't work. Though when I later turned
> up the speakers all the way, then I could somewhat hear Doom sfx
> (semi-quietly).

!!! Yes, in this point I have to agree.
I haven't done any test with ZDOOM but if I run Quake2 port without legacy blaster emulation (and with -hda parameter) I also get extremely silent sound.
Unfortunately, the workaround with SBLive! initialization by other program (I tried QV) doesn't help here.

---
DOS-u-akbar!

Rugxulo(R)

Homepage

Usono,
06.07.2015, 19:48

@ Laaca

> > BTW, Mpxplay doesn't work for Laaca's "Sound blaster Live! value
> [CT4830]"
> > either.
>
> ??? WTF ???
> I am Laaca, I have SB Live! and I am sure that I can hear very clear sound
> with Mpxplay.

Sorry for misunderstanding. I guess there are different models of SB Live! cards, which all behave differently then.

Although, checking again, you did say, "Yes, It seems I have the same issue." :-P

RayeR(R)

Homepage

CZ,
07.07.2015, 17:57

@ Laaca

> I haven't done any test with ZDOOM but if I run Quake2 port without legacy
> blaster emulation (and with -hda parameter) I also get extremely silent
> sound.

Did you try both output jacks (front and rear) on your SB? I got very loud sound like if all mixer turned to the max so I needed to set sfx volume in Quake2 to minimum level. I don't use any mixer setting utility. MAybe you can try to run Quake2 after run and exit Mpxplay if it makes any difference. But I belive the drivers in libau used in Q2 do mostly the same as Mpxplay do. There's AU_setmixer_all() function to set volume that is called by Q2 code.
Currently I'm trying to fix libau compile under new gcc -O1 that makes to crash it (damn optimization)...

---

Laaca(R)

Homepage

Czech republic,
07.07.2015, 21:07

@ RayeR

> Did you try both output jacks (front and rear) on your SB?

No, I tried only jack for front output. I am in vacation now, for 14 days. I'll make more tests when I return home.

---
DOS-u-akbar!

Rugxulo(R)

Homepage

Usono,
11.07.2015, 08:10
(edited by Rugxulo, 13.07.2015, 23:26)

@ RayeR

Doom on 86Duino

> http://virtuallyfun.superglobalmegacorp.com/2015/06/26/porting-quake-ii-to-ms-dos-pt4/

One guy there (rasz_pl) said this (July 3, 2015 at 9:26 pm):

> btw RayeR I pimped your Doom on 86duino on hackaday
> http://hackaday.com/2015/07/03/tiny-x86-systems-with-graphics-cards/

Which leads to this video: 86Duino Zero with connected PCI-E VGA running Doom

But it's not a new video of yours. Maybe we've already seen it before? (It's from last October.) I honestly don't remember! Still cool to see, though. (Yes, I remember brief mentions here of 86Duino, but I never did understand all that hardware goobledegook.)

BTW, TobyGames recently started a playthrough of Ultimate Doom, though he's not gotten very far: Part 1, Part 2, Part 3, Part 4

Rugxulo(R)

Homepage

Usono,
18.07.2015, 18:12

@ Rugxulo

Doom

Two more tidbits:

* I found a very recent (updated) port of MBF to DOS via Vogons forum, titled "Doom 'MBF' for DOS, Maintenance release 2.04" by gerwin.

* id Software is making a new Doom, and footage was shown at this year's E3: http://youtu.be/JIQ6Iym50kM

glennmcc(R)

Homepage E-mail

North Jackson, Ohio (USA),
18.07.2015, 21:46

@ Rugxulo

Doom

> Two more tidbits:
>
> * I found a very recent (updated) port of MBF to DOS via
> Vogons forum,
> titled "Doom 'MBF' for DOS, Maintenance release 2.04" by gerwin.
>
> * id Software is making a new Doom, and footage was shown at this year's
> E3: http://youtu.be/JIQ6Iym50kM

DANG !!!

Checked the sys req at ID software.... my newest most high-end machine is
nowhere near the specs needed to run the up-coming Doom4. :(

As with all others... ID software seems to have gone overboard. :(

---
--
http://glennmcc.org/

RayeR(R)

Homepage

CZ,
28.07.2015, 19:14

@ glennmcc

Doom

> DANG !!!
> Checked the sys req at ID software.... my newest most high-end machine is
> nowhere near the specs needed to run the up-coming Doom4. :(
> As with all others... ID software seems to have gone overboard. :(

What do you mean by hiend machine? I can see that min. sysreq is core i5 2500 sandybridge, about 5 years old? Some overclocked i7 2600 should be enough. Here you can check your system http://www.game-debate.com/games/index.php?g_id=627&game=Doom%204#systemrequirements

---

Laaca(R)

Homepage

Czech republic,
28.07.2015, 21:18

@ RayeR

Doom

Doom 4 will never run in DOS so I have another topic.

Could somebody of you, somebody who has megapowered computer, try to run Daikatane in DOS via HX-DOS?

It is possible, I can run it but in my Pentium-Celeron P4 1,7GHz is it veeeery slooow.

Can somebody run it with accetable speed?

---
DOS-u-akbar!

RayeR(R)

Homepage

CZ,
10.08.2015, 10:53

@ Laaca

Doom

> Could somebody of you, somebody who has megapowered computer, try to run
> Daikatane in DOS via HX-DOS?
>
> It is possible, I can run it but in my Pentium-Celeron P4 1,7GHz is it
> veeeery slooow.

Yes I tried it but got only ~ 5-10 FPS @640x480 with lowest detail - not playable. In GUI the speed is OK. I think it's due to using very slow SW emulation in MS OpenGL32.dll, it would be slow even on Windows if you don't have VGA with OGL driver. Unfortunately Daikatana has no native software renderer as Quake II or Unreal. BTW did you tried unofficial latest patch 1.3? It runs only under Windows but have some fixes and enhancements
https://bitbucket.org/DGibson/daikatana-1.3/wiki/Downloads

---

glennmcc(R)

Homepage E-mail

North Jackson, Ohio (USA),
29.07.2015, 00:50

@ RayeR

Doom

> > DANG !!!
> > Checked the sys req at ID software.... my newest most high-end machine
> is
> > nowhere near the specs needed to run the up-coming Doom4. :(
> > As with all others... ID software seems to have gone overboard. :(
>
> What do you mean by hiend machine? I can see that min. sysreq is core i5
> 2500 sandybridge, about 5 years old? Some overclocked i7 2600 should be
> enough. Here you can check your system
> http://www.game-debate.com/games/index.php?g_id=627&game=Doom%204#systemrequirements

My newest DOS machine is a P-4 from 2004

Even my newer Linux machine is an Intel core2 circa 2008

In addition.... this new DOOM requires WinCrap which I have rid myself of
and REFUSE to ever have again.

---
--
http://glennmcc.org/

RayeR(R)

Homepage

CZ,
29.07.2015, 20:34

@ glennmcc

Doom

> My newest DOS machine is a P-4 from 2004
> Even my newer Linux machine is an Intel core2 circa 2008

Aha, yo forgot to note you meant high-end at that ancient times... :)

> In addition.... this new DOOM requires WinCrap which I have rid myself of
> and REFUSE to ever have again.

I'm also not happy that it needs W7, not XP as minimum, but I understand that they wanted to use DX11. Maybe they will make Linux port as they did for their older games. But anyway it's more probable that I will not have any free time to play it so why care about... :)

---

Rugxulo(R)

Homepage

Usono,
16.08.2015, 04:27

@ Rugxulo

Wolfenstein 3D - (newer) Wolf4GW

I don't follow neozeed's blog very often (although it's highly interesting). He recently mentioned an updated Github version of Wolf4GW by Tobias Karnat. I didn't look closely to understand the differences, but it does compile and it does (still) work. N.B. You have to separately recompile for each separate Wolf3d version (e.g. my Apogee vs. default Activision), i.e. "-UGOODTIMES". Heck, I even tested with that old (shareware) mod XmasWolf, which is still fun, even if (somewhat) out of season. :-D

alexfru(R)

USA,
16.08.2015, 06:39

@ Rugxulo

> I don't follow neozeed's blog very often (although it's highly
> interesting). He recently
> mentioned
> an updated Github version of
> Wolf4GW by Tobias
> Karnat. I didn't look closely to understand the differences, but it
> does compile and it does (still) work. N.B. You have to separately
> recompile for each separate Wolf3d version (e.g. my Apogee vs. default
> Activision), i.e. "-UGOODTIMES". Heck, I even tested with that old
> (shareware) mod
> XmasWolf,
> which is still fun, even if (somewhat) out of season. :-D

There are some gfx artefacts under DOSBox 0.74. Not sure what's wrong. Is it not supposed to work with data files from shareware v 1.4? Or is there a bug that is only seen in DOSBox?

Rugxulo(R)

Homepage

Usono,
16.08.2015, 10:20
(edited by Rugxulo, 16.08.2015, 10:45)

@ alexfru

> There are some gfx artefacts under DOSBox 0.74. Not sure what's wrong. Is
> it not supposed to work with data files from shareware v 1.4? Or is there a
> bug that is only seen in DOSBox?

That's what I meant, you have to recompile for each separate version. It's not a bug, just a design flaw. :-(

You have to edit WL_DEF.H and undefine GOODTIMES (Activision) and define UPLOAD (shareware) first.

I just now tested under DOSBox. After recompiling, it works fine with Wolf3D-Xmas.zip (except digital sfx seems to play incorrectly / pure noise). EDIT: Not sure what that was, but it went away, dunno why! So sound is okay as well.

Back to index page
Thread view  Board view
15112 Postings in 1359 Threads, 247 registered users, 12 users online (0 registered, 12 guests)
DOS ain't dead | Admin contact
RSS Feed