Back to home page

DOS ain't dead

Forum index page

Back to index page
Thread view  Board view
CandyMan(R)

24.09.2018, 18:11

Necromancer's Dos Navigator (Announce)

Necromancer's Dos Navigator v2.31.5461 (the best file manager) ready to download

Necromancer's Dos Navigator [NDN] is a clone of the famous "Norton Commander". It uses an easy to use and learn text-mode interface, is highly customizable, and has a lot of features.

Features:
- Long File Names Support
- Multi-windowed interface
- Disk utilities
- Comprehensive File Manager
- 26 types of archives supported
- Powerful customizable editor with 3 code pages support
- Hex-editor with code pages support
- Huge strings support
- Regular expressions
- Spreadsheet communications
- Multiconfiguration
and more...

32-bit and 64-bit versions exist for Dos and Windows:
NDN: DOS/DPMI32 (D32)
NDN: DOS/DPMI64 (D64)
NDN: Windows (W32)
NDN: Windows (W64)
NDN: Language resources - Can be used to translate the resource files to other languages or to customize keyboard shortcuts.

It is possible to download files from:
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B_wEiYjzVkC0ZGtkbENENzF1Nms

They are test versions (particularly 64-bit) therefore I ask to report possible bugs!!!

Laaca(R)

Homepage

Czech republic,
24.09.2018, 19:29

@ CandyMan

Necromancer's Dos Navigator

Holy sh*t! It has much more functions I can try in whole my life :ok:
Really wow! I thought that NDN is dead and I didn't expect such development at all.
Unfortunately I can't test the 64-bit versions. Win64 version is not so interresting as it can be considered as normal. But... But it really works in DOS in 64-bit longmode?
I don't want to digger into technical things here but I thought that in 64-bit mode is no connection to realmode world (DOS, BIOS) like is in 32-bit mode.

Now about more usual features.
So I will need much time to extensively test it.
Only few remarks:
* Why I can't use Enter on the numeric keyboard? It is quite annoying.
* IVT table can't fit on screen in 80-columns modes
* ASCII chart shows actual loaded VGA chars in the main part of windows but the detailed view in the right side shows not the actual VGA chars but the default hardware font
* I had a crash. I run the directory branch function but for long time nothing happened. So I pressed ESC but the program have frozen.

I have also one feature request.
Is possible to implement some networking support? More directly: Is possible to add some simple FTP client?

Anyway - amazing work.
And I noticed that NDN is still written in pascal. PASCAL RULES!

---
DOS-u-akbar!

CandyMan(R)

25.09.2018, 19:50

@ Laaca

Thank you for reply. Your comments will be included in the next version of the program (coming soon).
NDN already has an FTP client in the version for Windows.

Laaca(R)

Homepage

Czech republic,
25.10.2018, 20:58

@ CandyMan

Hello!
DOS version of NDN still contains the TCP/IP stack named STIPS.
But is here anyone who succeded to make it work? In particular - does for you work the FTP connection?
It is not trivial as the FTP configuration is not listed in the menu. (You have to manualy create the FTP.INI file. The needed help I haven't found in the CandyMan's versions but it is in the more ancient versions).
I was not successfull even on my LAN at home. (as a FTP server I used the MicroFTP utility)

---
DOS-u-akbar!

marcov(R)

25.09.2018, 21:06

@ Laaca

> And I noticed that NDN is still written in pascal. PASCAL RULES!

Well, that depends on which one :-)

P.s. version 3.2.0 has been branched, hopefully early next year. Dos related changes: 16-bit msdos has more tools internal (less Watcom dependency). Initial win16 support.

Laaca(R)

Homepage

Czech republic,
25.09.2018, 21:17

@ marcov

> P.s. version 3.2.0 has been branched, hopefully early next year. Dos
> related changes: 16-bit msdos has more tools internal (less Watcom
> dependency). Initial win16 support.

It is indeed nice. Will it contain the GO32V2 -> 16.bit MSDOS crosscompiler?

Other nice features for 32-bit DOS version could be better support for DXE loadable modules (DXE ver. 3), TCP/IP stack, decent sound library, color scheme selection dialog in IDE and improved capabilities of loading DJGPP .A libraries :-P

---
DOS-u-akbar!

marcov(R)

25.09.2018, 21:24

@ Laaca

> > P.s. version 3.2.0 has been branched, hopefully early next year. Dos
> > related changes: 16-bit msdos has more tools internal (less Watcom
> > dependency). Initial win16 support.
>
> It is indeed nice. Will it contain the GO32V2 -> 16.bit MSDOS
> crosscompiler?

I don't know. That was really all I know about the dos releases in the branch. No statements about what will be released have been made.

That said, integrating the watcom tools should make it easier.

The new branch will also deprecated textmode ide with gdb debugger internal in favor of GDB-MI on platforms that can.

Note related to dos (since it can't do gdb-mi), but it does make the internal gdb more specifically dos.

> Other nice features for 32-bit DOS version could be better support for DXE
> loadable modules (DXE ver. 3), TCP/IP stack, decent sound library, color
> scheme selection dialog in IDE and improved capabilities of loading DJGPP
> .A libraries :-P

Yes. I can't wait till sb donates them :-)

Rugxulo(R)

Homepage

Usono,
02.10.2018, 04:07

@ marcov

> > And I noticed that NDN is still written in pascal. PASCAL RULES!
>
> Well, that depends on which one :-)
>
> P.s. version 3.2.0 has been branched, hopefully early next year.

The Win64 build is clearly using FPC (yes, I double-checked) since obviously VPC was 32-bit only.

Guti(R)

Homepage

26.09.2018, 09:30
(edited by Rugxulo, 26.09.2018, 14:47)

@ CandyMan

Thanks!

---
Visit my personal blog at http://www.javiergutierrezchamorro.com

KormaX(R)

26.09.2018, 17:55

@ CandyMan

Greetings, artist of programming and expert of DOS and creator of a real milestone of the modern history of DOS!

Your app (the 64 bit version of course) breaks through a new wall between DOS and the modern operating systems. I knew the possibility of 64 bit DOS programming, and even planned to develop something that way once. Then I found the so called DMMI of Michael Chourdakis and I started to REALLY plan to develop something that way once. But actually I just did not do anithying, and as far as I know, noone else did. Nor a new development, nor some client to DMMI. This day however, is a glorious day. (not actually this day, it is rather the day you published this project) Because YOU just published the first practical, working, 64 bit DOS program. Or at least the first one I know about. This is not a runtime or an API server, which is also a cool thing, but still waiting for a client program, THIS IS an application, and it works. Cool and grat! (However my plans are actually seriuos, even if I don't have much time for it so perhaps I would like to consult you in the future because if I really make my stuff, I would prefer if it could coexist with DPMI64 instead of crashing the system all the time both programs are loaded :D)

Just one more thing. You asked us to report bugs and other stuff. Well, I didn't find any bug, but I couldn't find a way to use DESCRIPT.ION with the short file names. I use LFN, but my descriptiond are joined to the 8+3 names, not the long ones. To see them in NDN I must turn off LFN support. Could it be possible to make it conditional in the future, for example with a chekbox for "READ DESCRIPTIONS FOR 8+3 NAMES" or something?

Well, thanks for your great program!

For the Honour of DOS!

---
DOS isn't about why. It's about why not.

RayeR(R)

Homepage

CZ,
27.09.2018, 23:13
(edited by RayeR, 27.09.2018, 23:40)

@ CandyMan

Hi, nice to see NDN is not dead yet. Why it didn't appeared on http://ndn.muxe.com/download/ ? Is it some unofficial version or fork by another programmer?
Then I wonder what is DPMI64? I don't know that someone defined a 64-bit DPMI standard and provide such DPMI64 server. I only saw some 64-bit Hello world example for DOS many years ago. It's exciting that we have some real 64-bit app but let's think about if it will bring any advantage over 32bit? For a file manager I think absolutely not. Even on Windows I don't see advantage of most of 64 bit apps that don't crunch a really a lot of data like bitmap/audio/video editors, CAD, games, scientific programs. But why to have a 64bit notepad, calculator a a file manager? It just get more bloated because of larger data types and enforced alignment...
If NDN already have implemented a FTP client it shouldn't be hard to use wattcp or similar DOS networking library to bring this feature to DOS version too. I'm going to DL and test. I can try also on Win10-x64 that I got in new job (I use there an old 32bit win32 NDN that works OK, no other way as no NTVDM there)...

BTW the package FASM172.7Z on google drive is marked as virus-infected (probably a false positive detection)

---
DOS gives me freedom to unlimited HW access.

marcov(R)

28.09.2018, 09:35
(edited by marcov, 28.09.2018, 09:59)

@ RayeR

> But why
> to have a 64bit notepad, calculator a a file manager? It just get more
> bloated because of larger data types and enforced alignment...

Avoid bloat? Two sets of (OS) shared libraries needed if you mix 32-bit and 64-bit programs?

A (unwanted) fork seems unlikely since afaik there was no source available from the old site.

RayeR(R)

Homepage

CZ,
28.09.2018, 22:49

@ marcov

> Avoid bloat? Two sets of (OS) shared libraries needed if you mix 32-bit and
> 64-bit programs?

There always will be old 32bit programs that will never get rewritten to 64bit so no way to remove 32bit libs. I mean't size of binaries itself not other depencies.

---

marcov(R)

30.09.2018, 14:00

@ RayeR

> > Avoid bloat? Two sets of (OS) shared libraries needed if you mix 32-bit
> and
> > 64-bit programs?
>
> There always will be old 32bit programs that will never get rewritten to
> 64bit so no way to remove 32bit libs.

If no 32-bit program is running parts can be unloaded/swapped out. So even if you don't get the number of 32-bit processes back to zero, there is still reason to minimize it, leading to a lower memory load on average.

RayeR(R)

Homepage

CZ,
30.09.2018, 21:55

@ marcov

> If no 32-bit program is running parts can be unloaded/swapped out. So even
> if you don't get the number of 32-bit processes back to zero, there is
> still reason to minimize it, leading to a lower memory load on average.

OK, I understand this. But it still doesn't explain that 64-bit means generaly better. I see that only small amount of apps really utilize 64-bit. For me I don't see this so important so still running 32-bit OS and apps...

---

KormaX(R)

28.09.2018, 11:06

@ RayeR

Greetings!

Of course it has no advantage, but it's a precedent. DOS could take advantage of 64 bit long mode device drivers for example. However that is only useful when they are executed on a different CPU, but if they are, they are fast as a rocket. This DPMI64 is clearly not for that reason however, for that, DMMI is here from 2015. DPMI64 is still could be very good for a mindblowing DOS game for modern hardware.

---

RayeR(R)

Homepage

CZ,
28.09.2018, 22:54

@ KormaX

Thanks for remembering Michael Chourdakis work. I was amazed by his initial experiments years ago but I didn't had time to return back so I missed the whole DMMI think. Seems there was some progress but stopped. So there's some new initiative of Candyman who is improviong D3X after many years of hybernation and bring us something new for DOS...

I didn't get your idea of 64bit DOS drivers, how it would be better over RM or 32bit drivers? I think nobody is writting new drivers for DOS at all (OK, except R.Loew and his fresh AHCI driver)...

---

KormaX(R)

30.09.2018, 11:39

@ RayeR

There are massive hardwares, eg. for the network adapter drivers, occupying huge parts of conventional memory. A 64 bit driver, however, executing on the second CPU, could only have a very thin interface in the conventional memory for communication with the OS or programs, but the massive part of it could be removed from the conventional memory. Same for USB. What fun a USB game-controller driver for DOS could be, but a hard time to code stuff like that for real-mode, and, when done, it's too massive. It would be great in 64 bit long mode on the 2'nd CPU however. I, personally, started to work on a replacement for UEFI-legacy mode for the motherboards lacking it (don't think it over, I just don't freekin' know, how to make it actually work, and don't even have time for it for months. But it is mainly based on DMMI, and it is tehoretically possible, I'm just not educated enough, to simply do it, nor rich enough to have enough free time).

---

RayeR(R)

Homepage

CZ,
30.09.2018, 13:04

@ KormaX

> There are massive hardwares, eg. for the network adapter drivers, occupying
> huge parts of conventional memory. A 64 bit driver, however, executing on
> the second CPU, could only have a very thin interface in the conventional
> memory...

Well, but the same can be done also in protected mode - buffers above 1MB boundary, couldn't? E.g. UIDE use very low conv. mem and very large XMS buffer. Yes it may be advantage to use 2nd CPU core for driver handling but multicore can be done also in 32-bit mode, not long mode only. And 32bit means you can use v86 but long mode doesn' have any counterpart of v86 mode.

> I, personally, started
> to work on a replacement for UEFI-legacy mode for the motherboards lacking
> it (don't think it over, I just don't freekin' know, how to make it
> actually work, and don't even have time for it for months. But it is mainly

Interesting, you write that you already started. Based on what? Are you doing all from the scratch? There is already SeaBIOS - part of Coreboot project that is aimed to do BIOS services. It's opensource and AFAIK it could be also compiled as UEFI CSM module - what you need. You can just extend it by wanted features.

---

KormaX(R)

12.10.2018, 10:57

@ RayeR

Long mode doesn't have a v86 mode or any counterpart of it, but until you have all your 64 bit codes executing on the non-first CPU-s, you don't even need one, while the v86 is still available on your first CPU as traditional.

I started it, but, well, you can just see, how long time passed until I even aswer your post. This is the main problem: time. SeaBIOS is exactly how you described it, it can be compiled as UEFI CSM module, it is ALMOST I am looking for, and it can easily be modified for my porpuses, the main problem is that I have to do it carefully. I want to make something forward compatible, I mean something, which will not cause difficulties for developers. For short I want to extend DMMI with primitive multifiber capabilities and reuse SeaBIOS components as a standard IO - UEFI interface, but I need to achieve this goals so that it will not interfere with other programs or it will be sh*t and unusable, and also I want it easily extendable. Just to give you an example: I can use memory contexts but only in one-to-one correspondence with the physical CPU-s. So I will NOT include preemptive multitasking, because it would require codes for dynamically switching between memory contexts, a well written scheduler, virtualization and effective communication between programs. It could be done, but not by me, at least not with my present knowledge. But I can do my job so that if anyone ever wants to make it, can do it for a comfortable API, and not for a complete garbage. A garbage can also work well, but not extendable. This is why I stopped working and will only sit down to write the whole thing after I have exact plans for every components, and not just "let's make it work somehow". Michael Chourdakis have made most of the job with 64 and 32 bit multi CPU programming and even virtualization, but it must be reorganized. And also I have to consult with Japheth for any possibility of including HX.DOS compatibility, but now I don't have anything to consult about :D And I have no idea when will I have.

---

RayeR(R)

Homepage

CZ,
15.10.2018, 23:12

@ KormaX

OK, but even with reuse of SeaBIOS code it seems to me a lot of hard time consuming work. Sorry for demotivation but if your'e not a 2nd Japheth or CandyMan I really doubt about success :) I see it on myself, I remember how much time I had at school and university. Now I'm unable to finish e.g. new SMB tool release for 7 years because I still have some modules messed under testing, sigh...

---

KormaX(R)

16.10.2018, 00:12

@ RayeR

This is exactly my problem, and this is why I normally don't even talk about it publically. However, until noone else makes it, I must work on it. The worst thing that could happen is still just nothing. Which is not worse than what we have now in this category except that I will have some percents of my lifetime consumed. Which would also be consumed if I didn't do anything, just for other things. I make time consuming stuff, movies for example (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TYV1vhY72kU) learning languages, having a vintage car :D. Now my DLMI (DOS Long Mode Interface) project is just waiting for me having time for it. I will publish it from the first biggy-buggy trash version (if there'll be any) so anyone can take over the project if has more ambition and/or knowledge and/or time for it. I am willing to provide the most accurate documentation possible.

---

Rugxulo(R)

Homepage

Usono,
02.10.2018, 10:57
(edited by Rugxulo, 03.10.2018, 02:31)

@ RayeR

> Thanks for remembering Michael Chourdakis work. I was amazed by his initial
> experiments years ago but I didn't had time to return back so I missed the
> whole DMMI think. Seems there was some progress but stopped.

You mean this? Circa 2015.

EDIT: I hate to be that guy, but ....

> https://www.gnu.org/licenses/license-list.en.html#cpol
>
> Code Project Open License, version 1.02 (#cpol)
>
> The Code Project Open License is not a free software license.
> Section 5.6 restricts how you can use the work. Section 5.4
> prohibits commercial distribution of the software by itself—and
> depending on how you read section 3.4, you may not have permission
> to distribute the software by itself at all.

(Honestly, I almost wonder if this complaint only applies to older versions of the license, before 1.02, because it doesn't sound that bad.)

> [CPOL] History
> 1.00. Initial release
> 1.01. A small clarification has been made section 5d that makes
> it clear that code can be included in commercial applications
> that are to be sold.
> 1.02. A clarification on how the license pertains to the Article
> was added to the Preamble.

Great, so everybody in FOSS hates it (according to Wikipedia), ugh. (Maybe we can get it relicensed?? Why are people so stubborn about licensing?? Such a waste of time! Do they not want anybody to actually use or improve the darn thing??)

RayeR(R)

Homepage

CZ,
03.10.2018, 22:03

@ Rugxulo

> You mean
> this?
> Circa 2015.
>
> EDIT: I hate to be that guy, but ....

Yes, this is it. Why hate? I was very impressed by his work. He also have a nice description about VMX and code snippets. That's a pitty he didn't continue to turn it to something useful.
His 64bit demo works on my machine. I tried Japhet's MON64.EXE but it doesn't run, just hangs without error.

---

Rugxulo(R)

Homepage

Usono,
05.10.2018, 03:06

@ RayeR

> > EDIT: I hate to be that guy, but ....
>
> Yes, this is it. Why hate?

I think you misunderstood me. Let me rephrase.

I regret being "that guy" (that stickler, hypothetically) who brings up bad news or warns people about unpleasant things.

I'm not talking about the author of the software here, only myself. So it's not hate at him, not at all. (Although I do regret his choice of license.)

I don't want to be an armchair lawyer, I'm just mentioning that perhaps the licensing is a bit short-sighted. At least, FOSS advocates dislike it (apparently), so I can't mirror it to FreeDOS for us.

> I was very impressed by his work.

I didn't try it yet (have to login just to download). It sounds impressive, though.

bretjohn(R)

Homepage E-mail

Rio Rancho, NM,
28.09.2018, 20:33

@ CandyMan

I've used NDN for a long time -- the best NC clone I have found.

I've downloaded and tried the latest version (5461) on two different machines, a desktop and a laptop. Nowhere on the link provided to report problems/bugs, so I'll do it here at least for now.

On the desktop (Intel I5-4590 CPU) the 32-bit version works fine, both with real hardware and in VMWare under Windows 10.

On the laptop (Intel I5-2450M CPU) it crashes (simply hangs) with no startup messages or error messages or anything. It does this both with the real hardware and in VMWare under Windows 7. There is not a lot a commonality between real hardware and VMWare other than the CPU (almost everything else is virtualized in VMWare and doesn't look anything like the real hardware), which makes me think it may be CPU-related.

Also, the 64-bit version won't work with any of my DOS setups (I use JEMM on all of them) -- I get an error message:

D3X: error 0xFB: V86 mode

So, the 64-bit versions apparently won't work when a 32-bit EMM is already installed since they put the CPU into V86/protected mode.

RayeR(R)

Homepage

CZ,
28.09.2018, 21:34

@ bretjohn

> Also, the 64-bit version won't work with any of my DOS setups (I use JEMM
> on all of them) -- I get an error message: D3X: error 0xFB: V86 mode
> So, the 64-bit versions apparently won't work when a 32-bit EMM is already
> installed since they put the CPU into V86/protected mode.

Yes, I got the same. I tested WIN32, DOS32 and DOS64 version on Core i7-2600K and all are able to run. Except as you noticed the 64b version cannot run under V86 mode that is in my case a big disadvantage why not to use it. But it seems to not be a bug but a limitation of D3X extender. Any of other DOS64 programs don't run under V86 too but it runs under plain DOS or XMS+UMBPCI. As we know from 64-bit OSes it problematic/impossible a coexistence of V86 and 64-bit long mode. It may be possible to completly save a v86 state before switching to long mode and then restore it after switching back but there wouldn't be v86 functions while run in long mode...

---

KormaX(R)

28.09.2018, 22:07

@ RayeR

That's one for DMMI. OR one for UMBPCI. I use UMBPCI on my system to keep it in real mode since about 2 years. Not for reason just it is "more DOS" for me than an unnecessary VMM. Also there are other programs not liking v86 so it is a real reason. Now there's another one :D You mentioned other D64 programs. Could you please show me some.

---

RayeR(R)

Homepage

CZ,
28.09.2018, 22:46
(edited by RayeR, 28.09.2018, 22:59)

@ KormaX

> Now there's another one :D You mentioned other D64 programs. Could you please show me some.
There are some other packages at https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B_wEiYjzVkC0ZGtkbENENzF1Nms like D3X with SD64.EXE debugger and maybe others...

I use JEMMEX in my default DOS config for some advantages but of course life is not simple and some apps don't like V86 so I have multiconfig of course...

---

RayeR(R)

Homepage

CZ,
01.10.2018, 19:31

@ RayeR

Today I tested 64-bit Windows version in Win10-x64 at work and it seems to run OK. One small problem, that also affect 32-bit version, is that the clock is not displayed in top right corner but somewhere in the middle of top row and the position seems to be some way random. Maybe something on console api was changed. Win10 supports instant console resize when you drag a window corner.

---

Japheth(R)

Homepage

Germany (South),
30.09.2018, 14:31

@ CandyMan

The 64-bit version is very impressive work. Congrats!

It needs some documentation, however, because it doesn't work on all 64-bit cpus ( on my old AMD Athlon 64 X2 it throws an error #15 ). Perhaps it requires the 1 GB pages feature to be present?

---
MS-DOS forever!

CandyMan(R)

01.10.2018, 18:29

@ Japheth

> Hi, nice to see NDN is not dead yet. Why it didn't appeared on
> http://ndn.muxe.com/download/ ? Is it some unofficial version or fork by
> another programmer?
I took the NDN participation in the development. I contacted from Stefan Weber (Germany). He coordinated entire pojekt. But for ages so I am not in contact with him I decided alone to add what I can to NDN.

> On the laptop (Intel I5-2450M CPU) it crashes (simply hangs) with no startup messages or error messages or anything. It does this both with the real hardware and in VMWare under Windows 7. There is not a lot a commonality between real hardware and VMWare other than the CPU (almost everything else is virtualized in VMWare and doesn't look anything like the real hardware), which makes me think it may be CPU-related.

> Also, the 64-bit version won't work with any of my DOS setups (I use JEMM on all of them) -- I get an error message:

> D3X: error 0xFB: V86 mode
The dos extender used with NDN64 had certain problems with the IRQ service under the long mode. He was out of order with emulators. I hope that a problem was solved in the next version NDN.
NDN64 can only works with true real mode (V86 mode is not available with long mode by hardware).
Next version soon. Best regards.

RayeR(R)

Homepage

CZ,
02.10.2018, 03:24

@ CandyMan

CandyMan, I tried to play a bit with your SigmaOS, impressive work :)

---

KormaX(R)

02.10.2018, 06:39

@ CandyMan

Check the 7z manager, because it does not work ön any version ön DOS. Reports empty archive. Alsó the 64 bit version could not handle any arcive ön my system. DR-DOS 7.03, UMBPCI, XMGR. Sorry for automatic diacritics, i'm from mobile.

---

Rugxulo(R)

Homepage

Usono,
05.10.2018, 03:12
(edited by Rugxulo, 06.10.2018, 02:44)

@ CandyMan

> I took the NDN participation in the development. I contacted from Stefan
> Weber (Germany). He coordinated entire pojekt. But for ages so I am not in
> contact with him I decided alone to add what I can to NDN.

I was always impressed with his work on NDN. IIRC, his last release was in 2010. He (rarely) has also frequented this forum under username "ho1459" (which also links to this homepage). Most of his posts here were from years ago (before 2012?), though. But I hope he is doing well.

EDIT: Typo.

RayeR(R)

Homepage

CZ,
02.10.2018, 03:22

@ Japheth

Japheth, I just tried out your MON64.EXE example from your Github and it doesn't work, just hangs, nothing printed out. While in same DOS setup the NDN64 runs fine.

---

CandyMan(R)

04.10.2018, 09:59

@ RayeR

Version NDN-v2.31.5462.7z is ready for download.

RayeR(R)

Homepage

CZ,
06.10.2018, 01:06

@ CandyMan

I tried W32 & W64 under Win10-x64 and the clock are still random positioned on top line.

---

CandyMan(R)

06.10.2018, 09:21

@ RayeR

> I tried W32 & W64 under Win10-x64 and the clock are still random positioned
> on top line.
At me (windows 7 x64) the clock is in the correct place.
There is a command on the menu: Reset clock position.
Also try delete desktop (NDN.DSK) file.

RayeR(R)

Homepage

CZ,
06.10.2018, 12:15

@ CandyMan

> At me (windows 7 x64) the clock is in the correct place.

Yes, probably it's a Win 10 crappy mess (I hate this OS but I got it on new PC in new job, as alternative I can install Linux for dualboot). But on other side it's good platform for testing SW on new OS. I already ported my NT kernel driver to win x64 that I use for my programs like SPIPGM, CPUID, SMB... I will post a new release :)

> There is a command on the menu: Reset clock position.

OK, I'will try.

> Also try delete desktop (NDN.DSK) file.
I ran the clean unzipped NDN without NDN.DSK

---

RayeR(R)

Homepage

CZ,
08.10.2018, 21:41

@ CandyMan

> There is a command on the menu: Reset clock position.
> Also try delete desktop (NDN.DSK) file.

I tried the "Reset clock position" and it set clock to the right position. But when I quit NDN and start it again the clock is misaligned again. No matter if I run save config or delete NDN.DSK.

---

CandyMan(R)

13.10.2018, 12:28

@ RayeR

> I tried the "Reset clock position" and it set clock to the right position.
> But when I quit NDN and start it again the clock is misaligned again. No
> matter if I run save config or delete NDN.DSK.
Indeed NDN not always has restored the position of the clock after the change of the window size of the console (right after the start). The problem was identified and fixed.

RayeR(R)

Homepage

CZ,
14.10.2018, 15:34

@ CandyMan

> The problem was identified and fixed.

OK, let us know when new version for test will be released.

---

CandyMan(R)

18.10.2018, 18:16
(edited by CandyMan, 18.10.2018, 18:28)

@ RayeR

> OK, let us know when new version for test will be released.
Version NDN-v2.31.5463.7z is ready for download.
In this version among others a graphical mouse cursor was added, game puzzle, minimizing not modal windows, 3D buttons.
At the moment I am not planning adding nothing or changing unless there is some new information from you about bugs.

RayeR(R)

Homepage

CZ,
18.10.2018, 20:22

@ CandyMan

> > OK, let us know when new version for test will be released.
> Version NDN-v2.31.5463.7z is ready for download.

Yes, the clock is now on right fixed position :)

---

KormaX(R)

23.10.2018, 00:14

@ CandyMan

The .7z support still doesn't work.

---

CandyMan(R)

25.10.2018, 15:23

@ KormaX

> The .7z support still doesn't work.
What version of NDN and 7ZIP did you use? NDN runs 7ZIP in the background with the "-l" parameter and reads the list of files from the temporary file. If you used the version for windows, then everything should be fine. If you have used the version for dos, then there must be free memory to run 7ZIP and HX Dos extender must be loaded to start 7ZIP. 7ZIP v9.20 works for me. Newer versions require the import of functions not supported by HX dos extender.

Garl(R)

Rus.Krasnodar,
27.10.2018, 18:54
(edited by Garl, 27.10.2018, 19:35)

@ CandyMan

> > The .7z support still doesn't work.
> 7ZIP v9.20 works for

In version 7-zip after 9.20 authors cahnge output information, and NDN not correct parse it.
You must use old 7zip or make little changes into NDN to support new 7z

p.s.
i can add support WIM,ISO,XZ,RPM archives like 7-zip into ndn

Back to index page
Thread view  Board view
15673 Postings in 1427 Threads, 259 registered users, 13 users online (1 registered, 12 guests)
DOS ain't dead | Admin contact
RSS Feed